1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing oil at 75.000 km ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ksor, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can I use this in my Prius GEN2 2008

Castrol EDGE Sport 10W-60; API SM/CF; ACEA A3/B3 , A3/B4
    Fylly synthetic

I live in Denmark where winter temp is >-5°C and summer < 30°C

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So long as your warranty is expired and you own the car, there is no limit to what you can do.

I wouldn't.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The W60 number is too high. This is very viscous oil at working temperature. In USA manual asks for W30

- Alex

4. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Normaly I use 5W-50 and that's what the manual says here, but what confuses me is the "codes" and that it's a synthetic oil:

On the oil container: API SM/CF; ACEA A3/B3 , A3/B4 Fully Synthetic
    and the manual says: API SG, SH or ILSAC Multigrade Motor Oil

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no reason to use such a thick viscosity oil on the Prius engine unless you want poor fuel economy. In the US, 5W-30 viscosity is the correct oil to utilize. In your locale with such cold winter weather, you could use 0W-20 during that season.

valde3 likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    each new grade of oil is the next letter in the alphabet; I remember when SD was superseded by SE.

So the manual states you need at least SG and the motor oil is newer than that, SM, "API, and ILSAC, which represents most of the worlds major automobile/engine manufactures, states API SM/ILSAC GF-4 is fully backwards compatible" - Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So SM is fine. CF is a standard for Diesels.

The latest API service standard designation is SN for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines. The SN standard refers to a group of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories include SN, SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines.

The International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) also has standards for motor oil. Introduced in 2004, GF-4 applies to SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 viscosity grade oils.

The ACEA performance/quality classifications A3/A5 tests used in Europe are arguably more stringent than the API and ILSAC standards.

[​IMG]

#6 JimboPalmer, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015