1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Oil in Europe - Midas C2 Oil

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Marc L., Apr 26, 2013.

1. Marc L.

Marc L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks
    I am new to this Forum. I purchased a 2012 Prius new last November and now have 13500 km on my car and the dealer wants a fortune to change the oil. Midas recommends its C2 oil? Since I am in France and speak English, I have a constant translation problem. Anyone every hear of this oil? Is this good? Also, I actually am not even positive which model I bought, it has funky letters on the model number, not the standard models that everyone else around the world talks about. I definitley have the third generation Prius.
    Please help?
    Thanks
    Marc

2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need 0W-20 grade oil, I have no idea what Midas C2 oil is. If Toyota dealer is charging you a fortune (€ 90+) for original Toyota oil, then buy it on ebay or some other shop and bring it whit you. The alternative oil to Toyota would be Mobil 1 0w-20, should cost you around 50 €, a cheaper alternative would be Total Quartz 9000 Future 0W-20, but I didnt't try it yet.
    Alternatively if you don't find any 0w-20 grade oil, you can use 5w-30 (read what specs in your manual), but your fuel economy may suffer (1-2 %).

3. Marc L.

Marc L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, I did read that I need 0w-20w oil. I will try to push the guy at midas to give me more info but it is not easy. I have thought about changing it myself which I would do all the time in the US, but things in France are more difficult. Two Toyota dealers both will not just change the oil, they pretty much want to do the one year service which I think is just to inspects stuff and maybe rotate tires and change the air filter. Even when we said, just change the oil, they want like 280 to300 euro. Midas is only 76 euro. That is still a 100 dollars and it is good deal. The high end synthetic oil would be almost 100 euros doing it myself. I remember getting free life time oil changes from my VA Toyota dealer. I cannot even get an english owners manual. I did see it on line.
    Thanks
    Marc

4. Marc L.

Marc L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ps. With slightly warmer weather and without my ski racks, I am getting 4.6 l/100km.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  6. Marc L.

Marc L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did more research and figured out I at least need 0w 20 synthetic oil. Midas did not have it. Dealer wants 280 to 300 euros (this is like almost $400). I went to local autopart store and ended up getting 0w 30 Total, synthetic oil. I think this should be okay. I will see how much Toyota gets for its oil at the dealer for the next change. This is really crazy.

I think the C2 is just a clssification system as you suggested.