1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing one tire, is it ok?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbm5um, Aug 6, 2007.

1. dbm5um

dbm5um New Member

I am a newbie here. have a 06 prius, driven 22K miles. got a flat tire yesterday that cannot be repaired. is it ok to just change one tire with a new one? what are the risks?

thanks,
    debraj

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fine. The steering may feel a little different for a while, so drive especially carefully and attentively until you are comfortable with it.

You might take this opportunity to rotate the tires in order to put the two tires with the *least* wear (one of these will be the new one, of course) at the rear of the car. This is safest, as it minimizes the chances of fishtailling or spinning out during a turn on a slippery road.

3. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    You might want to get two new tires and put them in the rear. If the other tire does not look too worn then you should just get one but still put them on the rear. The new one should be the same as you have on the other rear tire i.e. if you still have the OEM Goodyear Integrities (yuck). Get another use it for a rear tire.

4. dbm5um

dbm5um New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Aug 6 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]491273[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the replies. I did decide to go ahead and purchase 2 new tires and put them in the rear. I am getting the michelin tires from costco.

debraj

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you've already purchased two.

I had a flat that was unrepairable. I ended up getting one tyre. I figured instead of replacing all 4, I'll replace one and when the 3 of them wear out, I'll have one spare.

At that time, I only had 35kish kms on them.