1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing the boaring display screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kamesh, Aug 17, 2006.

1. kamesh

kamesh New Member

is it possible to change the display to show pictures/wallpaper? I am boared and get distracted with the consumption screen

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don't have the answer but I also would like to know...... thanks for the question!

3. ramarren

ramarren New Member

I find I turn it off on regular occasion. It becomes a distraction.

Godfrey

4. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be cool to do. I wonder why that no one has figured out how to do it...

5. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kamesh @ Aug 17 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]304746[/snapback]</div>
    I bit overkill but: Mac prius

6. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kamesh @ Aug 17 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]304746[/snapback]</div>
    How about the MS Windows "aquarium" screensaver? :p

7. miwaku

miwaku New Member

8. cortakajake

cortakajake New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kamesh @ Aug 17 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]304746[/snapback]</div>

How about an electronic dictionary display.....

9. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seems to me that if it's boring you, you shouldn't be distracted by it... ;)

Have you tried the energy monitor screen? :D

Or you could always just turn off the display...

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heckfire gang...We are ENCOURAGING this? Can you say, "drive the car and don't WATCH the MFD?" Hmmm? Mods are one thing...this is INSANITY.

We gonna give instructions next for how best to lay back the driver's seat to full incline, put your feet up, and watch the DVD player you have installed on the back of the passenger seat while the car is on the road and going, oh, say, the speed limit?

Wth???

If you are board (or even bored), don't be driving. Period. Stop. (Even full stop.) Pull over. Get a hotel room. Go for a walk. Fly a kite. Just get off the d**n road.

If, however, you insist on driving anyway, please tell me where you will be, so I can be sure to be elsewear (or perhaps elsewhere).

Heckuva maiden post, kamesh. Welcome to the loony bin.

(Oh yeah, and shouldn't this thread be under "mods?")

11. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Try looking out the front window at what is going on around you.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ha ha, let's all make fun of the n00b!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind being able to customize just a little bit more than the one choice of "blue or orange" just to make it personal. Not because I look at it all day, but because it's mine, and I want it to look like it's mine. I'd love to be able to send pics from my bluetooth phone into the computer and use however I please.

But I don't think it's possible without cracking open the computer and doing things that would [a] make even technically minded people nervous, and void your warranty.

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 22 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]307426[/snapback]</div>
    I WASN'T making fun. I was DEAD serious. Said n00b lives not very far from where I do. I don't want anyone watching fishies on his or her MFD instead of watching the road. You want a video, go home and watch it. Get out of the car. GET OUT OF THE CAR. This one REALLY SCARES me. This is potentially WAY worse than talking on a cell phone as you cruise through a stop sign. This shows a TOTAL disregard for EVERYONE else on the road. "Bored" with the MFD? Don't look at it. You should NOT be driving AND spending so much time looking at the screen as to get bored with it. Fine. Find a way to hack something other than its two colors. Great, have a static wallpaper instead of having the screen off. But DO NOT say you are "board" with it. How long SHOULD one be spending looking at the MFD instead of the road? Enough time to have it be dull? WATCH WHERE YOU ARE DRIVING.

Jeez. Can you tell I either have not yet had any caffeine, or maybe have had too much...? My point, however, remains valid...If you are bored with the screen, you are spending WAY too much time looking at it and not enough time looking where the hell you are driving.

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's ok to be passionate about safety. I saw someone just last night, while I was biking in my neighborhood, driving alone in their SUV, with a LCD mounted on their dash, and a movie playing... It freaked me out and made me want to call the cops. There's no chance it was for a kid in the other seat or back seat either because the screen was clearly angled toward the driver :( So I'm in agreement with you, and I think the Mac Mini in the dash is a bit scary too.

HOWEVER, I read the OP as "I'm bored with the look of my MFD and want to personalize it," not "I'm bored because I watch my MFD at all times while driving and it fails to entertain me." And the fish screensaver suggestion was not from the OP, but a tangential extrapolation... a bit hyperbolic as well, while I'm talking in math terms ;)