1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing the inputs for the Dash-LCD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Alex The Great, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Alex The Great

Alex The Great New Member

Basically, I'm thinking of hooking up a computer inside my soon-to-come prius 2004, and was wondering about the input capabilities of the Dash-lcd... as if I could make a switch to switch back and forth between Car and Computer... Well, I think you see where I'm going

2. riskable

riskable Junior Member

I'm planning on doing the same thing. Currently waiting for Coastaletech.com to start selling the video input kit. As soon as it's ready I am ordering it, building a Mini-ITX computer, and putting it in the car.

Probably with a solid-state hard drive running Linux and a DVD-ROM so I don't have to worry about hard drive decay/bumps (and it's cheaper than buying an actual laptop hard drive with shock absorbers).

I'll burn 4.3 gigs worth of mp3s on to the DVD ROM and use a Linux mp3 player for visualizations and high-contrast interface. Need to figure out a way to get the steering wheel to control it. Might have to settle for a mini remote.

3. Alex The Great

Alex The Great New Member

I've had a buddy with a hard drive in his car for two years, and it's still running strong. I'm going to risk it, as I don't really see it as that big of a risk.

On a side note, I'm seriously thinking of just buying an xbox, modding it, and running linux off of it. The included 5 gig hard drive is big enough for holding the "must haves," burned dvds can support what I don't need all the time, and then I have 4 usb ports (the controller ports for the xbox are actually all USBs) for popping in a wireless card, a gps setup, and a keyboard/mouse combo. Seeing as I can have the xbox for $120 (used, from ebgames) and probably that connector for another $80 - I say it's a god damn deal.

4. riskable

riskable Junior Member

In 1998 I had a computer in my car (Check out http://youknowwhat.com/~riskable for more info). The hard drive in it died after about a year and a half of use (which isn't too bad). I'm sure with some proper securing it would've lasted longer, but my biggest problem with it was how long it took to boot.

With Linux I can get the boot time to be pretty fast, but it'll still be slower than a solid-state hard drive. Maybe instead of DVD-ROMs I'll have a separate hard drive for storing mp3s. We'll see.