1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing the spark plugs without taking off wiper blades on 2010 Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by johnamerc, Nov 26, 2017.

1. johnamerc

johnamerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Cylinder 3 misfire code on Tuesday . So I had my spark plugs replaced and so forth on Wednesday. At home my driver side wiper blade black cap covering the nut was noticed to be missing. Called my dealer's service writer. Claims they change the spark plugs without taking off the wiper blades. The missing part is not their fault. Said she verified with the mechanic that he changed the plugs without taking off the wiper blades. Said I could bring in in on Monday to show them what part is missing.
    The only reason I even went to the dealer was the other mechanic in town that specializes in Prius maintenance was booked til this Wednesday.

Remembering why I don't go to this dealer any more. . . Oh my!

My son and I had started to disassemble the stuff above the plugs per multiple you tube videos and decided it was more than we wanted to do.

What did we miss?

John . . . Third Prius owned, Approaching 800 K Prius miles logged.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess if you had the correct swivel socket extensions that you could remove the plugs without removing the wiper motor and cowl.

There is just no way to do this with straight socket extensions plus the length of the spark plug.

I would still suspect the dealer because that cap is not likely to come off by itself.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m not even sure you can get the coil out without removing the windshield wiper cowling (n).

m.wynn, JC91006 and jdcollins5 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the customer is always right. (except at car dealers)

m.wynn likes this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did you disassemble before you decided to take it to the dealer? By chance, did you remove the wiper arm nuts...and forgot to put them back? Never the less, even if you forgot, the dealer mechanic should have noticed they were missing. I mean, come on!

jdcollins5, Danny3xd and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, don't know about the Prius but I've had the arm nut covers disappear on other Toyotas.

I changed the spark plugs on the Gen 2 without removing the wipers stuff but I've not tried it yet on the Gen 3.

Merkey likes this.
  7. johnamerc

johnamerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Never touched the drive side wiper. Only the passenger side and the bright metal of the nut and threads stick out like a sore thumb. Was out of town. Will visit the dealer Monday.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure they are lying.

It is relatively easy to disconnect the coil and try to pull it out. As you pull up on the coil the top hits the cowl well before the bottom extension of the coil is any where near clear of the spark plug well. I've tried it, lol.

Maybe start by talking to that service writer again, ask her if she can pass you onto the Service Manager.

@NutzAboutBolts video pinned at top of the 3rd gen sub-forum on spark place change is the video to watch, and maybe he can comment too.

^ In the video, it takes a LOT of wrenching to get to the spark plugs, and there is no way in hell they would do this if there was ANY other way, lol.

I believe the part is item #4 here, sells for $4.15:

Wiper & Washer Components for 2010 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

For the parts writer (or more likely, the mechanic) to choose a tact like this over a $4 item is a little foolhardy. Yeah, start by talking to the service manager. I'd suspect the service writer is just taking the mechanic at face value, the lies originate with the mechanic.

OTOH, maybe the mechanic can demonstrate how to remove the coils sans cowl removal? But I really doubt it.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Home Depot sells water heater anode rods shaped like this, in case the ceiling over your water heater is too low to stick the new one straight in (if you're replacing one, the old one is probably enough gone to just bend as you're pulling it out).

Too bad you can't get Gen 3 ignitors made that way. :)

[​IMG]

-Chap

sumguy, Robert Holt, CR94 and 2 others like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Along the same line, take some video if they can demonstrate how to do the job without removing the windshield wiper cowling;).

Be from Missouri and ask them to show you (y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ease of maintenance seems to take a back seat more-and-more, with each generation of cars. That they couldn't come up with a little more clearance for those coil to come out without tearing the car half-apart, is very frustrating.

Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    But if you consider the frequency the windshield wiper cowling needs to be removed, it was probably part of the design decision ;).

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 06 civic was similar, cowl needed to come off to check the valve clearance, and/or change plugs. And to remove the engine block coolant bolt. The latter was the mandatory for decent coolant drain: quarts came out. I guess the trend to steeply raked, aerodynamic windshields.

With the Prius, pretty much mandatory too, for the mandatory EGR cleaning lol.

Wrangler...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, styling takes precedence over serviceability. It’s not uncommon on some SUV vehicles to have to remove the body for engine replacement.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. High Mileage

High Mileage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    John, I have replaced the spark plugs on my Gen3 prius. There is absolutely no way to remove the coil packs and plugs without removing the cowl assembly. To get the cowl assembly off I do not see a way to do it without removing the wiper arms.
    BTW I actually think getting to the plugs and coil packs is fairly easy and straightforward. I worked for GM for 16 years and they did some very stupid things that made maintenance a PITA. The first time I did my plugs at 192K miles I think it took me 15 minutes to get the cowl assembly off. Once removed getting to the coils and plugs was a piece of cake. I will be faster when I replace them again at 400K.

kc5dlo, CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Your Plugs lasted to 192K miles?

17. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    kc5dlo likes this.
  18. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I followed @NutzAboutBolts's video on spark plug replacement. Took me about 30 minutes to do. One thing that will speed things up is a power drill with an extension. MUCH faster and easier!

NutzAboutBolts and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one thing that hangs me up, is that little plastic piece at the corner of the windshield. Oh, and some of the #*$@!! cable clips.

I guess we just talk among ourselves till OP gets more info. I was a little presumptive to say they were lying, more like they're probably lying, lol. Who knows. I'm hoping he follows up on this, updates the thread with their explanation.

There's a ridiculously strong circumstantial evidence case going here: spark plugs changed, wiper elbow cap missing... And the dang thing costs all of $4 to replace, let's just say they didn't choose their battles wisely. :coffee:

#19 Mendel Leisk, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  20. Bobulator

Bobulator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone tried jacking up the Prius to move the engine down so you can get to the plugs? (without removing all the crap) Check Youtube for a video about it by a guy called StanleyCip. I may try it this weekend when I get my nre plugs.