1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had the use of my Prius only a week or so when I was scheduled for knee surgery. :( Because the Prius came with the factory tire pressure and I couldn't easily change the tire pressure (because of my darn knee) I decided to wait until after my surgery.

BUT.......

Here is the thing. The tire pressure monitor is set the way it should be for say 35 lbs. If I increase it to the 42/40 lbs suggested here in PriusChat then how do I reset the tire monitor so it doesn't complain about my changing it from 35 to 42lbs?

Like a dummy, I left the user manuals in the glove compartment so I cant get my hands on them easily. And seeing I have all this time on my hands I thought I would ask here to get some input. Once I am back on my feet, I can then go and make the change.

By the way, I had Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds installed at my dealer before taking delivery. My first tank came out at 43mpg. Temp 30 to 35 degrees.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think there's a button to reset the tire pressure monitoring system. Near the SKS enable button (below steering wheel)? I don't even have an 06... so... don't quote me on that. I just happened to see that on toyota's website.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have a tire pressure monitor in my 05 but what I have seen here has led me to believe that it only alarms for pressures that are to low? Is this not correct?

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1. Set tire pressures (cold) as desired.

2. Press reset button under wheel and hold until indicator light on dash for the tire warning system blinks three times.

3. enjoy car

- Tom

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    just hold in the button below the steering wheel. Hold it for a few seconds and the light will flash.

6. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You guys are the best!!

Thanks for the fast feedback.

Now tumbleweed brings up an interesting question. Anybody know if the alarm will go off if the tire pressure goes up by a certain amount? I wouldn't have thought of asking that but think it is a good question.

7. Aaron144

Aaron144 Junior Member

My 06 came with 36 lbs both front and rear. After driving around for three days like that I changed to 40/38 front/rear. I did not push any buttons and did not do the hokey pokey. My prius was just as happy as could be. At least it didn't complain to me.
    B)

8. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The problem with not resetting is that your TPMS will not warn you until the pressure drops down to 36-25% = 27psi, which is very way off from your 40psi setting. TPMS is federally required to give warning at 25% drop. I don't know the spec of Toyota's TPMS. I have an '05 w/o TPMS.

9. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Interesting. Does this mean Aaron144's alarm won't go off until it is below the alarm set point for 36lbs then? I would be more inclined to reset it so it alarmed below the 42 or 40 lb set point.

Any ideas?

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without testing it..I don't know. But I would not be surprised if you are correct. When you set the pressure it is the baseline. If it goes up it is not set to notify you. Why/how would it without your intervention. It is not like there are people that run around with an air compressor putting air in peoples tires. So it would be reason to belive that his would not warn him unless it got 25% beloe 36PSI (27PSI). It takes like 5 seconds of time and you can do it while sitting in the drivers seat. It really isn't much "hokey pokey" but hey its your car. Do what ya want.