1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing to Metric

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jeepwillies, Mar 9, 2007.

1. jeepwillies

jeepwillies New Member

Does anyone know how to change my odometer to metric?

2005 Prius C package

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should be able to just push the metric/english button next to the emergency flasher button.

Tom

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That button only changes the speedometer. I wish it changes the odometer (and temperature reading + the GPS as well).

I'm sure there is a factory setting that can be tweaked but I'm not aware of any quick fixes.

4. jeepwillies

jeepwillies New Member

Hmmm that's all I found so far too? If you find anything let me know.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging by your location, you must have purchased a Canadian model. How would it NOT display in metric?

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm guessing he imported it. Car's in US are normally cheaper and I think there are tax incentives for importing a car (once every few years).

7. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Soon everything here will be metric anyway.
    I discovered this in school, which is why we had to learn the metric system, because we were told "America was going metric, since the rest of the world used this standard".
    It was fourth grade, I think.
    40 years ago.
    Any day now... :rolleyes: Bueller? Bueller?

8. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We may as well switch already. English units are just plain stupid. The only metric unit I don't understand is L/100km...that's just wierd.

Oh, right, the odometer. I would have a **VERY** hard time believing that they actually use a different part in US vehicles than is used in other markets. My first course of action would be to see if the dealer can change it with their handy scan tool.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 9 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]403156[/snapback]</div>
    4 liters is almost a gallon, 100 klicks is 60 miles. Pretty easy in that respect
    The scantool has already been tried and it was found that the head is different in respect miles and kilometers.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Mar 9 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]403204[/snapback]</div>
    It's strange that they would let you change the speedometer and not the odometer.

Dave M.

11. jeepwillies

jeepwillies New Member

Well thanks everyone, sounds like I may have to keep looking on this one.

The lady we bought off of brought the car in from the US so that is why it is defaulted to miles.

Yep have to say that it is weird that the US still has not moved over to the metric system just like the rest of the world, but then we're just moving out of Igloos up here! :)

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Mar 9 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]402963[/snapback]</div>
    The question about changing the odometer has come up before, and the answer has always been that even Toyota can't change it without major surgery (i.e. replacing computers) on the car, and generally will not do it.

I believe the reason the odometer does not change is to reduce the risk of fraud. I.e. In a non-US country, it would be too easy to fraudulently present the mileage incorrectly by having the car in miles rather than KM, to an unsuspecting person...

However, the GPS measurement units *can* be changed - press Menu and go into the settings, it is one of the options. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 9 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]403156[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, L/100km does seem weird at first, since most people (in North America, Canada included) still refer to their mileage in "miles per gallon", even though Canada went metric about 30 years ago.

But when you think about it, in the Prius world the consumption screen actually makes more sense in metric. Since a lower number is better in L/100km, the graph is reversed and short bars are good and long bars are bad. By definition "Consumption" infers how much fuel it takes go a distance, which would be L/100km. For US cars, this screen would make more sense if they named it "Efficiency" rather than "Consumption".

Just my $0.02. B)

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if memory serves me there is 3 readouts available for the Prius MPG, L per hundred and in the JDM it's Km's per liter.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, it gets worse re silly mileage. In Canada, when the dealer tells me the Prius "gets 70 MPG", he's talking imperial gallons and it's basically a conversion of the EPA data. In other words, sales BS.

When we switched to metric in the late 70s, I asked a Canadian Govt. official at the car show "why L/100 km instead of km/L?". I was told the number is easier to handle. I do find it more useful on the highway. I see by the highway signs I have x km to go till I can fill up, and I know the capacity of the tank and the gauge (sort of) shows how much is left in it. Simple math.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 10 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]403386[/snapback]</div>
    Actually he wasn't using EPA's numbers. He was using Transport Canada's numbers of 4.0/4.2 L/100km.

16. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So if we switch to metric in the US, do the stock tires become P185/65R381? :huh:

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually, Transport Canada's numbers are mostly just conversions from the EPA data (I was told by a Canadian govt. official). We are, after all, a banana republic. Frozen bananas, but whatever. ;)

As for "metric size tires", they exist side by side in most countries with inch sizes. Most still use the inch sizes, as there is very poor selection in metric sizes, and most manufacturers don't make them. Worse, they have at least two "standards".

Prompting the phraze "The nice thing about standards is, there are so many to choose from."

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 9 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]403119[/snapback]</div>
    The US is converting to metic inch by inch.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 10 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]403515[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! :lol:

20. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so.... beyond all the imperial to metric chatting, no one really knows how to change the setting. It does not appear to be an obvious choice selection in the set-up screen. You can choose to set the distances for NAV in KM or Miles, and the speedometer in KM or Mi, but not the consumpution settings.
    Anyone come up with the answer?
    fyi - Imported US 08, approx $4-5k cheaper than same CDN model. so far getting 40.1Mpg city, but not through 1 tank yet.