1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charge Battery On Rollers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jeneric, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jeneric

jeneric New Member

It seems to me there are a lot of people with a strong desire to charge their battery from the grid. What's stopping them from putting together some powered rollers they could drive onto and charge the car through the wheels? Maybe even only one wheel would work. Maybe even a wheel that wouldn't add miles to the odometer. Although they'd probably want it to add the miles to make their mpg average go up.

2. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    An interesting idea, though it'd be more experimental than practical in nature. The OEM battery would fill up quickly and the rollers would lose a lot of energy in the process, consuming far more electricity than finally gets added. And of course the wear on the vehicle, as you mentioned, since the electric drivetrain would be engaged.

3. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I'm sure you're right, but there are some pretty fanatical people here. If it's 75% cheaper to get energy from the grid and there's a 50% energy loss in the conversion, you could still come out ahead. And the frequency of use would make the small SOC deltas add up. I'd be most scared of trying to get larger SOC deltas each time and killing the battery.

As far as wear on the vehicle, as you said, the OEM battery would fill up quickly. Just consider it an extra hill to go down before you get home.

4. benighted

benighted New Member

I think you might be on to something.

That would deffinately make the first few consumption bars taller.