1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ChargePoint charger. What is NEMA 5-20R? Can I use it?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by iregret, Mar 7, 2018.

1. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is there anything special about this plug? I can charge at ChargePoint stations for free on campus. I use the J1772 plug usually but if it’s taken can I use the 5-20R with my Toyota charger?

I guess I’m confused why it’s hidden under a locked door on the charger. If it’s a normal outlet, then why hide it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's under a locked door, how would you gain access?

looks like a 20a 120v outlet, shouldn't be a problem.

3. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It unlocks the door if you enable charging.

4. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, you can use it with any ordinary U.S. 120-volt plug, including the plug on the end of the Toyota EVSE that comes with the Prime.

The 5-20R is a 20-amp outlet which has a "T slot" to accommodate either an ordinary 15-amp plug or a less-common 20-amp plug which has one of its blades turned at 90-degrees to prevent it from being inserted into a 15-amp outlet.

NEMA-15amp+20amp-configs.jpg 20amp-5-20p-plug.jpg

The diagram above shows a standard 15-amp "5-15R" outlet and plug on the left and a 20-amp "5-20R" outlet and plug on the right. At the far right is a photo of a "5-20P" plug with the sideways blade that only works in a 20-amp outlet. (NEMA is the National Electrical Manufacturers Association which provides these standard designations. "R" designates female receptacle; "P" designates male plug.)

There are some devices which draw 20-amps and which would trip the circuit breaker supplying a 15-amp outlet. Hence the 5-20P plug exists.

Based upon your other comment, I'd assume that it's use is constrained so that it's only available to someone authorized to use the charging location.

jerrymildred and iregret like this.
  5. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks! I really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure since it requires activating charging through ChargePoint to enable the plug. It's hidden under a door.

Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I was thrown off by the 90 degree plug. It just seems strange that it's hidden like that. Why not build it into the housing outside? Also, that's a lot of weight to hang off of a plug. At home I have a shelf that supports the brick charger. I don't think theres a hook or anything to relieve the stress on the plug.

At home, all the circuits are 20 amp circuits.

Anyway, thanks for the help fellas!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you can use a bungee to relieve the stress somehow.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is probably enclosed due to environmental reasons; e.g., rain. And it is only for use for charging. I don't know about that specific charging station, but some I have have seen allow you to close and lock the door with your EVSE plugged in, to keep it from getting stolen while your car is being charged. Note that if you use the 120V outlet, it will take up to 5 hours to charge the Prime.