1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ChargePoint Home charging app vs Prime Charging app

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Mary Lou In Ohio, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Mary Lou In Ohio

Mary Lou In Ohio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi -

We just got our Prime and I admit I'm a little confused about these charging apps. Since I have used neither yet, I'm guessing that I don't need an app to just charge my car. For the first 2 weeks, we have been using the charger that came with the car and charging via the 110 household current. Today I am having an electrician install our ChargePoint Home charger and a 220 line. Can I still just plug the car in and charge? Do I need the app other than to arrange for charging times (which I won't use as there is no benefit where I live to charge during the night, so I'll just charge when I come home) or to be able to look on my phone and see how much longer it will take to charge without going out to the garage?

And lastly, do these two apps work in harmony - or do I have to pick one or the other to get the correct information?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

Team ChargePoint likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No app is necessary. Either can be used. Both can be used.

They'll provide detail about the charging and provide options for remote operation.

For example, you can fire up the heater from (using Entune) your desk at work to have a toasty car for the drive home. If the car is still plugged in, grid electricity can be taken advantage of for that. It isn't necessary though, you can schedule that ahead of time from your car instead.

Team ChargePoint likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your prime! can you please update your vehicle and model info?