1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging amperage

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by devprius, Mar 22, 2012.

1. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have programmed my ScanGauge to show battery charging amps. While driving it's interesting to see how many amps are getting dumped into the battery when coasting or braking (upwards of 200 when braking hard), or how much is pulled out when accelerating in EV mode (again, upwards of 200 at times). On a whim, I turned on the car while it was plugged into the EVSE. The MID showed a charge rate of 1Kw and would be done in about 3 hours. No surprise there since I had just plugged the car in and the EV range was depleted. But it was interesting to see that the ScanGauge showed a charging rate of 5.3amps. Knowing the battery pack's normal voltage, someone with a Kill-a-Watt and a ScanGaguge hooked up should be able to figure out what the wall to battery charging losses are. Just something interesting to think about.

1 person likes this.