1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging efficiency of PIP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 3PriusMike, Jan 18, 2013.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen many people provide an "estimate" of a 15% charging loss for the PIP. This number seemed high from my experience, so I decided to do some measurements.

First some definitions:

efficiency = Energy(out)/Energy(in)
    charging loss = 1 - efficiency
    Energy(out) = number displayed on the EV driving ratio screen in the PIP (this is a bit problematic since the granularity is 1 kwh)
    Energy(in) = measured at the wall via a watt-meter, such as a kill-a-watt or watt-ups Pro...or from a commercial charger such as a Charge Point, that keeps a logged report for you. Both provide data with ~1-10 watt-hour level of precision...but it is unlikely that the cheap meters are actually that accurate, but if they are within 10 watt-hours on a ~3000 watt-hour charge that is within 0.3%

Over a week I charged the first 8 times at a 240V L2 ChargePoint at work and used 20.4 kwh, plus one 250 wh charge at home (to make sure I could get back to work on EV that day).
    My goal was to make the full 124 miles before the gas engine was forced on, but at about 116 miles I was on a 10-mile-each-way trip and knew I'd need to use gas...so I manually switched to HV at ~55 mph on the low-traffic freeway for 5 miles...then switched back to EV as I exited the freeway. My "EV miles remaining" went from 8.0 to 9.1 so I added some watt-hours that the gas provided...you'll see this tiny amount doesn't make a big difference.

Results:
    Charge Point, 240V 20.4 kwh (8 charges)
    Home, 120v 8.44 kwh
    HV mode: 0.23 kwh (full charge range normally at 13 miles => 2700wh/13 = 207 wh/mile => 230 wh for 1.1 miles)
    total: 29.07 kwh
    battery SOC: full at 13 miles to start, empty at 0.0 miles at end (I have no scan gauge)

Displayed consumption: 26 kwh for 132 miles of EV (and 0 gal for 5 miles of HV)

efficiency = 26 / 29.07 = 89.4% => charging losses = ~10.6%
    Of course the 26 kwh consumed could easily have been at 26.9, ready to click over to 27 which would change the numbers to 26.9 / 29.07 = 92.5%, losses = 7.5% (this is the problem with the granularity of the readouts) But we know that the most realistic number is somewhere within this range.

I went about 2 or 3 miles before I noticed the consumption had rolled over to 27 kwh, so a good guess is ~26.5...or 91% efficiency and 9% losses.

For me at least, this refutes the widely used 15% charging losses claims on these boards.
    I hope someone else can reproduce this test and report their results. Even better if they have the ability to compare L1 and L2 charging independently over at least as far a distance. I tried to estimate the efficiency at the end of each day but the granularity of the EV consumption is just too big for this.
    ------
    In order for me to have seen charging losses as big as 15% I would have needed to lose 1.5 kwh somewhere in my measurements. This is 7-8 miles of travel and more than half a battery's worth of a charge. Of course, there are more losses between the power plant and the wall socket...widely reported that the national average is 5-7%. If you were to say this is 6% and that the PIP charging loses 9%, maybe this is the true source of the "15% losses" number, perhaps originating from some industry white paper comparing EV driving and oil, etc.

------
    Also I hope that people realize that correcting for a ~10% (my belief) or even 15% charging loss has a correct mathematical formula to be used. If your input data is from the EV driving ratio screen, this provides the car's estimation of the Energy(out). To obtain Energy(in), you use the efficiency value, as a fraction, like this:

E(in) = E(out) / efficiency

for example (with 10% losses or a 90% efficiency and 300 kwh shown on the display)

E(in) = 300 / 0.90 = 333.33 Please, NOT this: E(in) = 300 * 1.1 = 330

Yes the answer is only ~1% off. And yes the data collection and efficiency estimation is not that precise. But it is not a good reason to use the wrong formula...at least if you are going to type out the formula you are using then use one that is right. Hopefully I have not made any mistakes in my math.

Mike

Fred_H, usbseawolf2000 and lensovet like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for all that work mike! for those of us who are math challenged, what % do you come out with for charging loss?

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    basically somewhere between 7.5% and 10.6%, most likely 9%.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you. so, if my car says 100 kwh, i should use 109 for the spreadsheet metered column? and is it different for 120v vs 240v?

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What most people are refering to as "account for charging losses" is a conversion factor to use to convert from the PiP's displayed consumption to the wall consumption.

using 26kWh (PiP) = 29.07 kWh (wall)

26 * 1.10 = 28.6
    26 * 1.11 = 28.86
    26 * 1.12 = 29.12
    26 * 1.15 = 29.9

What I would caution for in your accounting is any other sources of electricity, in your case the PiP's engine. We know that the PiP will add electricity to the battery while not incrementing the HV miles. A gallon of gasoline is considered equivalent to 33.7kWh, so even usbseawolf2000's estimate of 0.02 gallons used to warm the engine is 0.674 kWh.

As you have noted, small numbers are also fighting you in your accounting as well as seasonal variations such as ambient temperature and temperature of the battery and onboard charging electronics while charging.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is also important to make sure that have the same number of use and charge sessions. I believe Mike did, but for anyone else trying is, make sure to deplete the charge every time you charge up.

John, I would hope the PiP would show electrical usage onboard regardless of if it is generated from the wall, or from the gas engine. However, I am not sure.

Thinking about this, one indicator may be if any PiP owners have ever had a listed kW usage greater than the usable battery pack size?
    If it is reported by the PiP, it would inflate the efficiency from the wall unless you correct for it as you suggested.
    If it isn't reported everything should work out as Mike calculated.

The 15% number is, I suspect, just a rule of thumb. As mentioned above, temperature can affect this, as can amperage. Also if the car's battery management system controls the temperature of the batteries that systems power draw will directly affect the efficiency numbers if any warming or cooling is necessary.

90% is very good, but I would suggest if people want to have the most accurate measurements they measure their own charging efficiency as there are a number of variables.

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Mike has answered this in his post. He switched to HV mode at one point and the estimated EV miles increased when he switched back to EV mode indicating that energy had been added to the battery from the ICE or perhaps indirectly from regen via the ICE.

If the ICE comes on at any point during the measurements Mike's calculations would be significantly affected.

lensovet likes this.
  8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should use whatever 100/0.9 comes out to. So 111.

9. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 10% efficiency for a charger is right. The 15% comes from the cars regen system and the overall efficiencies of the charger/battery/motor combination.

10. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know where the 15% number comes from...can you provide a definitive source?
    What do you mean charger battery motor combination? That is what I measured.

Mike

11. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you show 100kwh and you have 9% charging losses you should divide by 0.91 ( which is very close to multiplying by 1.1)
    The difference in losses between L1 and L2 as best as I could see was smaller than the uncertainty in the measurements caused by the granularity of the EV driving ratio kWh readout...maybe 1-2% more or less in losses. It will be very difficult to do a more accurate test because it requires longer distances for more kWh, but the ICE will always kick on at 124 miles

Mike

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, another way of saying this is, if your killowatt measured 111, your car would say 100?

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just for clarity ....

[wall]--> kill-o-watt meter --> EVSE --> charger --> HV battery --> EV kWh meter -->[ electric motor (and other loads)]

the losses being accounted for include in and out of battery as well as losses within the charging circuits.

14. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, really you charged with 110 kwh and with 91% efficiency thus the car reported 100 kwh after battery charges and driving.

Mike

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How do we know if we're accounting for electricity generated by the car in these estimates? The car consumes electricity and charges its batteries even if it's not wall outlet-charged at all.

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the OP already demostrated that in the original post. When he switched to HV and then switched back to EV the estimated EV range had increased.

IMO, the accounting is flawed but like the OP states it is a difficult task with the standard instrumentation.

18. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The efficiency data reported in the OP is based on the data the car is telling you, so just like car reported MPG it could be off and/or the 240v charger reporting.

I believe the 15% estimate comes from the data Toyota reportes for EPA testing. EPA numbers are 3.2kWh for a charge
    (See New Plug-in Hybrids
    where it lists 25 miles is 3.2kWh + .3 gallons of gas)

Note that they use 120v, so it may be just the difference in the efficiency of 120v + difference in the efficiency of the chargers themselves. 120v charging will have greater losses.

It may also be that the EPA numbers include leaving it charging overnight (per their protocol, I believe the do), so maybe there is continued power usage after some time that the Charge Points don't include.

19. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMO none of these explanations make any sense. And I don't know where the 3.2 kwh comes from...I can rarely see more than 2.9 with the chargepoint L2.

Mike

20. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the original post I account for this...but it was so small it is noise...I drove 132 miles in EV and 5 in HV. The ICE added 1.1 miles of EV range while in HV that one time. That is less than 1% of the miles driven in the test.

Mike

lensovet likes this.