1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging gen2 battery and warranty; your experiences and opinions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius_deep, Feb 13, 2018.

1. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So took the Toyota TrueStart battery out of my 2008 prius to charge it; label on it said ...’never charge quickly. ...’ ...’ charging current should not be higher than 4.2A and charging time should be within 10 hours’.

I have a 10/2/60AMP charger/engine starter. So this means that the TrueStart needs be charged at the 2 Amp trickle/maintenance setting, correct?? What has been your experience?

The carfax said that the battery was replaced in December of 2014 and replaced in December of 2016 at two different Toyota dealers. Now on the battery the label says Toyota TrueStart 84 month warranty.(7 years).

I bought the car in 2017. So should I try and get a new battery from last Toyota dealer. I was not the owner at the time, but the carfax tells which dealer, the dealer is where I bought the gen4. And I know they know this car(2008) by the VIN; so they would know that they did indeed sell and install this battery. Opinions ?

When I got the car I did the test mode and the battery was good and strong.

Things that make you go hmmm… December.
    It has been below freezing and below zero for months now, so that may have …. Or maybe Toyota batteries just suck.

If I can’t get a very good deal on a new battery from the dealer, do you think that once I charge the battery it should be back to normal – your opinion, experience?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How often is the car driven? If not often, then be prepared to put the battery on charge (max 4.2 A) when is not driven.
    Maybe there is a parasitic draw problem and the dealers are solving it by replacing the battery?
    You should find out what the warranty is, I think you will find that it 3 Years full replacement, thereafter it is pro-rated.
    This won't help the battery to perform at its best.
    No, generally the quality of Toyota batteries is good. Maybe something else is going on.
    What do you mean by normal? I think you should get your battery on a charger and get it charged up. Keep monitoring it and if it goes flat, charge again. If you are having to externally charge it (when the car is regularly driven) too often, then something's up. Either the car has an unusual draw on the battery or the battery is done and needs replacing.

SFO likes this.