1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by whodat, Jul 19, 2006.

1. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was wondering if anyone has attempted or figured out a modification on how to externally charge the HV battery (~212V)?

I believe the Toyota internal charge controller limits the charge and discharge level of the battery presumably to protect the battery.

I found a website where someone is using their Prius as an external electrical generator for their home and saw some detailed photos of the HV battery access in the trunk and the associated cabling.

I would like to externally charge the battery and then use the car for very short trips in EV (electrical vehicle) mode only. Its seems like a waste to turn on the ICE (internal combustion engine) for short trips.

Thanks
    Dave

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, no one is directly charging the OEM battery. It's been tried but there are all kinds of error codes and it is sure to significantly reduce the life expectancy of the battery if you do so.

Several private individuals have added additional battery capacity that is seperate from the OEM battery and is externally charged and then is connected when the car is started.

This is the same technique used by the Cal-Cars group. E-drive (I think) completely removes the OEM battery and replaces it with lithium to externally charge.

So, although it's possible, you'll have problems and probably destroy the battery in doing so.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 19 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]288904[/snapback]</div>
    Or a lead acid in some cases, leaving the NiMH in place we saw one at the Alterative fuel fair in Lacy. Lead Acids on top of NiMH with a Cal-Cars logo on the car. I think they are looking at a number of options!

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can always just hold the brakes really tight and then mash on the accelerator pedal. Get that SOC green before you leave ;)

I wonder how much gas you'd burn just doing that before you leave, good if you have to battle a hill first thing in the morning.

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ive charged a 01 HV battery with a transformer that produced 140 volts DC @ 3 amp hour it required some dissassembly of the battery, and i charged it in halves, the result was a fully charged not past 80 % HV battery ( 273 volts )

i believe its possible to just get a direct wire connection to the HV battery, and make a socket on the side of the vehicle, so at nigth you are able to charge it. It seems too much work right now for me, since im going to college, but i believe its possible by wiring up the two halves, and creating a charger with two plugs on the outside that is able to plug into this and directly charge the HV battery, bypassing the HV ECU.