1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

charging over night but battery is close to full already??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by vajratlr, Oct 23, 2013.

1. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm currently in the market for another Prius and probably the plug in for the HOV access. I'm not too familiar with the plug in. With my 2010 Prius, I get close to full battery whenever I get home from work. And I don't think the battery depletes overnight(does it?) so what's the point of charging? And with that said, how do I save MPG???

2. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The battery is larger in the plug-in and allows greater speeds and around 11 miles of all EV driving. Your battery is 1.3kWh where the plug-in is 4.4kWh. Charging at home at night would give you the extra 11 miles or so of EV driving which boosts your overall mpg.

It's really dependant on your commute. How far do you drive daily? Can you charge the car at work?

3. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

probably not at work and my commute is 82 miles RT. To be honest, I'm getting the plug in for the HOV. But was just wondering if it would save me on gas.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The plug-in gets somewhat better mileage (10% or thereabouts) in hybrid mode than does the standard Prius, in part due to more efficient regeneration; the lithium chemistry in the plug-in battery can take and release a charge faster than then nickle-metal-hydrid chemistry in the standard battery, lessening reliance on the friction bakes.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Based on feedback from others here, assuming you start at home every day with a full battery, you can probably expect mid-60's on the low end and 70's or even 80's depending on your driving style and how much regeneration you can take advantage of during the drive. For example, you don't have to use all of the battery right at the start of the day - you can use a few miles of EV on city streets, switch to HV for the high speed highway part (maybe regenerating some charge on the hills and under braking) and then use EV again when you get close to your destination.

My wife who pays absolutely no attention to what the car is doing did 200 miles r/t last week and still got 65mpg using only the charge she started with at home.

6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One other aspect of the Plugin that can help with your gas mileage is battery's extra capacity when in hybrid mode. The fact that you arrive home with nearly a full charge indicates that you may be loosing gas mileage spooling the engine in keeping the battery from overcharging. With the Plugin there is much more headroom, so you should not encounter such a loss.

7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you want the HOV sticker, then it is a no-brainer. Without doing anything you'll get 5-10% better mpg (I have both 2010 and PIP). And when you plug in you'll get ~1/8th of your 80 miles commute without gas, hence another 12% improvement (minus the cost of the electricity.) EV miles are about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of gas miles if your per kwh cost is the US average.

Mike

8. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for all the input!

My current offer from a local dealer is $259+tax so roughly $282 for a base plug in, 12k lease with residual at 16960(please do not make this thread into a lease/buy war). These numbers are factored in all the incentives $5000 plus $1500. Is this a decent deal?

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It sounds ok based on pricing I've been seeing for CA. What is the residual percentage? The money factor? The final selling price? Any trade-in or down payment? Those are the things we need to know in order to assess a lease deal.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have multiple short trips in the weekend, consider them EV miles.

A regular Prius would not get 50 MPG for short trips. That's where PiP has advantage also.

11. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused: At 82 miles per day, can you live within 12,000 miles per year? I calculate approximately 1600 miles per month.

12. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

No, 12k is not enough. I need about 20k a year. But I'll just turn it in at the end, lease another and negotiate the overage.

Prius Five Guy and zhenya like this.
  13. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) Best to determine approximates yearly miles and include that in the lease up front.

14. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With a fairly low residual, why not lease for three years, then buy it off lease? You can run it another few years and then sell it before the mileage gets too high. That way you avoid the overage fees and may be able to drive it almost for free for a year or two, selling it eventually near the residual.

15. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That might well be my plan Michael. These cars may end up being a great buy at the end.

16. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I might do that if it makes sense. The reason I don't want to buy it now is because better plug ins might be available in 3 years.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But check your electric rate schedule and tier structure carefully, and the possibility of a special EV-only service (separate meter) for the car. For some folks, particularly in California, the standard tiered rate structure may be quite punitive to an EV, completely eating up the savings on gas.