1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging PHEV outdoors.. in the rain

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by kiettyyyy, Dec 22, 2008.

1. kiettyyyy

kiettyyyy Plug-In Supply Engineer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all!

It's day 2 of owning a PHEV in Southern California! Unfortunately, I woke up finding out that it is raining outside.

Has any other PHEV user parked and charged outside in the rain before? Is it a good idea if you have no other alternative means of parking?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to say one end of the extension cord should be shielded from the rain or you risk electrical shock. Or better yet both ends need to be shielded from the rain so you and the car does not get an electrical shock.

3. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shielded? Do you mean avoid the rain completely?

I have one end of the cord plugged into an indoor GFCI equipped outlet running along the ceiling till it hits my car parked outdoors. From there, it just goes into a plug located outside of the bumper.

4. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your charging with a 115vac circuit outside it should be a GFI receptable.push the test button to trip the GFI and then unplug from outlet.

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shielded from the rain.

6. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where possible, protect from the rain unless you're lucky enough to have a water-proof connector.

In Europe we have various connectors for use outside of the home environment. While you can get a sealed, "IP" rated waterproof 240v 13A plug and socket which are basically waterproof versions of what we use indoors in the UK, a lot of DIY EV owners and PHEV owners use a 240V 16A 'camping style' plug, so called because it's found on campsites across europe.

In the photo I've attached you can see both sets of plugs in operation at a local EV/PHEV charging point in Bristol. The big blue connectors are good for using outside and are really heavy duty. The smaller ones are like our domestic plugs, but waterproof.

Is there not a way to get a waterproof 120V plug and socket combination for use on your conversion?

Good luck - and stay dry to stay safe! :)

Nikki.

Attached Files:

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do ensure the cord has a downward slope away from the car so any rain water drips off the cord and doesn't run into the plug. (Maybe a little more than in your avatar)
    Use sealed heavy duty outdoor extension leads
    If your cars receptacle is threaded you should be able to get a cord with a screw in collar to help seal out weather.
    if you can, have some stiffish plastic over the receptacle in the back bumper to keep the rain off it might help.
    always switch off the power before you touch the cord.

8. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations on your install. It looks very professional. But I must admit... the outlet cover could have been 'beefed up' a little to take into account weather that might be encountered. You would think that there are enough 'standard' solutions that could be taken advantage of since RVs use outlets in all types of weather all year round. It would be nice to have the outlet itself recessed a little into the bumper and then an actual door cover the receptacle area, something that would weatherproof the connection whether you are plugged in or not. The 2nd black cover over the outlet that you currently have would still be there, though just recessed. Just a thought... people have weatherproof receptacles on their house, too. They look a little goofy with the big bulbous cover, but I'm sure something more sleek could be incorporated with current (RV) technology. I don't know if your installer would consider that for a future mod. Congrats and good luck.

9. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I added a weather proof seal to the female end of my extension cord(A little hack using rubber bands and lots of electrical tape)

It rained pretty hard yesterday afternoon/evening; it was a perfect chance to test(I had the cord unplugged).

After the rain had stopped, I unplugged the cord from the car outlet and lo behold... a dry outlet!

Thanks everyone!

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been charging my RV for years outside and sometimes it rains. I agree with Patsparks that a downward curve is necessary below the receptacle for the rain to drip away fron the connector. Since I join two recepticles outside of the vehicle I also tuck that porttion under the wheelwell where it stays dry. I have never any problem, even in CA, ( we are all aware of the California monsoons!)

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have an EV, live in the pacific northwest and have charged my car out in the pouring rains probably slightly less than 150 times or so... so not a lot of experience on charging in the rain, but so far, so good. no issues yet.

use a GFCI, which is required for ALL outdoor use or anywhere water is present (bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens, etc) and you will be just fine