1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Charging" the key fob...or full of it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MP_terp, Mar 12, 2010.

1. MP_terp

MP_terp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, I recently bough an '08 Prius. The thing didn't come with the owner's manual......The dealer told me that if I stick the key fob in that little rectangle on the dash that holds it, it will "charge" the battery in the key fob.

I think he made that up....but I don't have a manual to refer back to. I kinda feel like that little rectangle is just a holder for people who like to put their keys in the dash like every other car.

Anyway, is there any reason to be putting the key fob in there, or is it just as good in my pocket?

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    He's making it up. It's fine in your pocket. The battery might run out in a couple years. Then you just buy a $2 battery from Radio Shack and keep going.

If your battery does go out and you need to drive, that's when you can stick the fob in your dash and go about your merry way.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The battery in the key fob is not a rechargeable battery. It is a common lithium (flat round) battery - CR 2032

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,
    There is a great User Guide published by John.
    John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide
    The fob battery information is on the page-37 of the document.

Ken@Japan

5. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not rechargeable, I can see as how he might think it is. I know my BMW charged the key with induction or something. (Unless my bmw salesman was also full of crap.) lol