1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chasing a P0304

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JWood, Oct 10, 2020.

1. JWood

JWood New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I’m about to begin chasing down a P0304 misfire code with a noticeable engine knock on a ‘01 with 298+ on it.
    Brief history:
    Family passed down since purchase, this was a dealer base model used initially for test drives/dealer service loaner for the first 1000 miles or so. No frills classic white but great to drive.
    Outside of regular maintenance:
    Traction battery full replacement ~2012
    Wheel bearings replacements all around- front 2019 back early 2020.
    A laundry list of smaller repairs and standard maintenance between then and now...
    Car grew up in IL/KY before moving to the harsher NE and driving NY/VT/NH/ME the last few years and visiting everything East of CO lol.

Spark plugs I just changed our and it’s running a bit smoother all around naturally. Equal wear and nothing stood out.
    At idle it’ll run smooth but driving it’ll start misfiring at about ~35mph.
    I plan to replace the original coil packs next but thinking it’s probably a fuel injector based on what going on.

A: Would anyone happen to have the firing sequence of the cylinders
    B: Thoughts recommendations before I eventually drop it off at the shop, as I don’t have the equipment/space to tackle that job currently.

Ideally want to take care of the misfire and get it back to my daily driver so I can hit the 300 mark.

Thanks in advance

2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Before you just replace the coils on a guess, it's easy enough to just swap the #4 with another one and see if the misfire moves with the coil. I don't know the firing order, but it doesn't matter for this (so long as you only swap the coils rather than any of the plugs for the coils).

WHCSC and strawbrad like this.