1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chasing Camry: Chevy asks dealers to put a Camry in the showroom to sell Malibus

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, May 16, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ May 16 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]443113[/snapback]</div>

Strange way of TRYING to sell the redesigned Malibu. Good luck Chevy.... :unsure:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I wonder what bs they can come up with. I've heard my fair share at the autoshow (but it was at the Nissan stop, not Chevrolet).

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Malibu will be a smash hit. You heard it here first. Toyota is as vulnerable right now as they have been in years. ;) The new tundra is floundering, Scion is falling into the toilet, and they are running out of reputation to live on and their inventories are at record levels.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]443206[/snapback]</div>
    Unless the price is right Chevy has already dug the grave for the Malibu.
    So now I can go to the dealer and go ok the Camry is roomier, is more efficient, and costs about the same (with similar options) and then go hey wait this Impala is just marginally bigger then this Malibu but costs more then the Camry. Will this really happen, I doubt it.
    What all car dealers actually try to do is get you in the door with a cheaper small mid size car then try to convince you into getting either the fully loaded versions or the next model up. The margins are just so much greater on these so when it looks like you are saving several thousand off the sticker you feel like you are getting a great deal even though you just doubled their profits.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]443214[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, you should take a look at the upcoming Malibu.. it is a stunning car and pretty much betters the Camry in every aspect.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]443214[/snapback]</div>
    If you took the emblems off the cars and had 100 people compare the Camry vs the Malibu or even the current Impala, Toyota would be in deep s**t. Your take on sales tactics are a new one to me, profits double with a loaded same model? You show exactly how much you know about the car business. ;)

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 06:22 AM) [snapback]443238[/snapback]</div>
    Unless, of course, the buyer looks at reliability numbers between Toyota and GM/Chevy. I don't know or care what the Malibu looks like. Relibility matters to me. (Okay, my Xebra is probably not reliable, but it's the only EV today that can meet my needs.) Between a Chevy and a Toyota, I'll always take the Toyota because the chances of it's leaving me stranded, or failing to start when I need to get somewhere, are monumentally less than the Chevy.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 16 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]443256[/snapback]</div>
    Yep that is true and it is also true that Japanese cars(Toyota) average 45 miles per gallon, just ask Barack Obama. ;) Toyota is living on the past and it is finally catching up to them. How many of you have been stranded in your Prius? Many more than if you asked how many have been stranded in their Malibu. ;)

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    GM; poor slobs. Even as they are passed by Toyota as #1 ... they still don't get it. Another marketing gymic, rather than building a better mouse trap. Gas prices are up again, so I suppose GM will be offering $1,000's in gas script again, to push their gas hogs .... again.

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 16 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]443296[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

Like this one? ;)

14 in the city and 18 on the highway?

12. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 16 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]443256[/snapback]</div>
    EXACTLY!

People I know don't even consider the big three any more. Most go straight to Toyota, and if that doesn't work out, they go another TOYOTA dealer.

Malibu? What's a Malibue?

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 16 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]443326[/snapback]</div>
    How about this?
    [​IMG]

13 mpg city and 17 mpg highway

14. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]443238[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently you are clueless, If I go to a car dealer they get their dealer fee's and a razor thin margin for each vehicle, almost regardless of what it is. Then they make a ton off of options that you would upgrade to. But the real money is here, a Toyota or GM memo goes to the dealer that says For the month of January there will be a bonus to the dealership from the manufacturer of $2000 for every Tundra sold, so naturally the dealer sees that guy coming in for a Tacoma as a prime target to get upsold. Its how they all do business, and how manufacturers move their products when there is a slight surplus in any of their lines. Oh and to get the salesman to do it they will give the salesman $100 bonus for everyone they sell.

15. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]443374[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Us Prius drivers (well, at least speaking for myself) are aware that Toyota still builds bona fide gas hogs. Unfortunately, buying a vehicle because you think it is going to improve your image is still legal in the US. Fortunately, I would expect that there are people out there who actually buy vehicles like these because they really need them and use them for the types of tasks that they are intended for.

However, if you have been paying attention to the news, Toyota has announced plans to hybridize their entire line. This would appear to indicate that Toyota is thinking in terms of environmental responsibility rather than how many of their vehicles they can sell to jerks who have no life and believe that the car that they drive somehow raises the opinion that others have of them in a positive way.

Also, Toyota has that reputation for quality that other automakers don't. For people who are looking for a "value" buy, quality makes a difference in their choice, and sorry, Charlie, the Toyota quality reputation will be extremely hard to break unless Toyota suddenly starts producing junk; however, I think that is highly unlikely.

Maybe, just maybe this is a good lesson for other automakers. Competition is good, and could result in better quality vehicles from other automakers. However, given the reputation that some automakers have for
    1. Producing unreliable junk
    2. Wanting to maintain the status quo because it is cheapest
    3. Putting on airs of environmentalism because it makes for a good corporate image
    4. Producing junk (oh, did I say that already)
    I certainly won't be holding my breath for a reliable, fuel-efficient, innovative vehicle to roll off the production lines of those other manufacturers any time in the future.

In the meantime, you are certainly welcome to your opinions, but I, personally, would not buy a Mini (or put your other unreliable piece of junk here) just because I think the car is cool and will raise my image with my peers since it has a well-known reputation for being unreliable. Maybe other people want to waste their money and time in the repair shop that way, but, personally, I do not think that is wise.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]443398[/snapback]</div>
    No it is not how they all do business.

17. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]443424[/snapback]</div>
    OK oh mighty one set me straight and tell me how they do business.

The bottom line is that always rings true though is that GM makes junk cars, that may be the reason after 5 years they are only worth about 1/3 of their original value. But the junk remains through all their lines, The ironic part is that the Chevy engine is the only piece on the car that is reliable, its the calipers, the rotors, the power steering, the water pump, the alternator, the washer fluid motor, the A/C unit, the failing and hard to find sensors that all prematurely quit working. Once GM quits using the cheapest bidder parts then maybe I will consider going back. From here on out I plan to be strictly Toyota and Ford.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]443446[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the rental car business has had much more of a negative effect on residuals than anything else. GM and Ford have been pulling back consistently from that business and it has been steadily picked up by the Japanese especially Nissan. Nissan is the first of the Japanese to hit the wall.

As far as your earlier business model, the Japanese have done business in a way much closer to that model than GM or Ford. The model works well when inventories are relatively light compared to demand. The Japanese are startin got find out it does not work so well when supply is backing up. ;)

19. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]443453[/snapback]</div>
    Or is it because Nissan in order to meet the demands of the Altima let their Quality Control slip.
    My bro has an Altima coming off a lease this month and he has had nothing but problems with it and is anxious to dump it.

Quality parts are all it takes, I think their philosophy is that as long as it "runs" the customer doesn't see it to be a major problem and will keep coming back.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]443374[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about the US but up here, Toyota dealers haven't been stocking Sequoias and Lexus dealers, they LX470 since.. ohh a good 3-4 years now. They've been on "factory order" for a loooong time cause they haven't been selling well. I've only seen two 2004+ Sequoia (when they did the midlife upgrade) and I haven't seen an LX470 in AGES. I see more Range Rovers than LXs.