1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chassis stiffening plate - fact or myth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JimboJones, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

If you read through the stiffening plate thread, there are some there who say that the BT plate will save your life! I've read through all the anecdotal, qualitative evidence, and it's obvious that there aren't any hard quantitative data on the effect of the supposedly much-stiffer BT plate versus the OEM plate.

It seems to me that regardless of how stiff the chassis is, cross wind is cross wind and this force will be felt by the car.

Does anyone have any hard scientific data on
    -whether OEM plate is "too soft"
    -whether the BT plate is stiffer than OEM plate
    -the effect of this "stiffer" plate on vehicle handling and crosswind

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On no! Don't start this debate again!!! :blink: :eek: :blink: :huh: :lol:

Tom

3. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 1 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]519910[/snapback]</div>

I've a Touring and there is absolutely no need for a stiffening plate. I've put 8000 miles in two weeks (cross country trips) and I've been through most any situation imaginable with no issues at all.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 1 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]519910[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry if this has been debated before, I didn't do a really good search of the pros and cons data. Are there actual numbers on this in the forum somewhere?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboJones @ Oct 1 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]519970[/snapback]</div>
    If you've read the original, what is it...600+ posts now, thread then you know the answers to all the "innocent" questions you put forth. If you want to open up the can of worms again then do it in the original thread, I'm closing this one, you can carry on there if it makes you feel better...but read the entire thing, this has been hashed, rehashed, flipped over, hashed again. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. To date there has been, I think I'm accurate, ONE member who felt it didn't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.