1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chavez Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mike_m, Sep 23, 2006.

1. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I lost 3 MPG with Citgo brand on this tank. Don't buy gas from Hugo! The last pip was flashing, and that was all there was around. :(

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's my opinion that there should be a grass-roots ban on Citgo gas across the country.

Oh sure, I can't stand Bush but that's my right as an American citizen actively participating in the democratic government process. Many posters have said it here but you don't come into our country and start bashing our President.

I realize that there is a lot of oil and gasoline spanning multiple gas stations that we get from Chavez. I'm going to have to search the web - unless someone else can find it - for a list of gas stations and the national composition of their gasoline.

Then I will attempt to only purchase non-Chavez gas.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Tony, but I think it unlikely that the Citgo/Chavez gas is what caused the lower mpg.

4. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 24 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]324265[/snapback]</div>

The only change was filling up at 7/11. I checked my tire pressures, and they were fine. What else could it be? I mean immediately after, the mileage went down. I'll see what happens next fillup.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Sep 24 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]324342[/snapback]</div>
    Could be winter fuel blend, could be drop in temperture, could be minor changes in route, traffic, or short trips. Could be adverse winds for a significant part of your drive. 3mpg is really nothing...less than 10% drop over base and usually closer to 5%. Minor changes like that could be any combination of factors. I have tanks ranging from a low of about 37mpg to a high of around 65mpg and I just don't sweat small swings...not worth the cost of the ulcer.

6. patcoghm

patcoghm Junior Member

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What's good for America is that we end our dependancy on foriegn oil. It should not bother us that Venz. has more oil than S.A. Our President told us as much in the State of the Union Address when he declared that America is addicted to oil and that to fight terrorism we need to curb our addition to foriegn oil.

I will not patronize anyone who comes to American soil (the UN is international soil but Chevez did a tour outside of the UN) and bash our leader. A man who I loath and can't stand to listen to but will defend as the man who currently runs our country (God help us all).

Chavez knows we love his oil. He knows that we can't survive more than a month without it. That's why I am highly skeptical when he offers "relief" at the same time that he bad-mouths Bush. For him to call Bush the Devil and then offer to sell oil at a lower price is in essense making deals with the Devil. I simply don't trust anyone who admits to dealing with the Devil.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 24 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]324500[/snapback]</div>
    Word! Leftist Freaks like Chavez and the smorgasborg of oil soaked nut jobs around the world should really be changing American driving tastes and habits. These guys make it so painfully obvious that we should be doing everything that we possibly can to drastically cut our oil consumption. Forget about the climate issues, energy security alone should easily be enough to drive profound changes in America's perverse energy habits.

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys are aware that the CIA has attempted two coups and two assasination attempts on Chavez, dating back to 03 right?

Dude is a nut-job, but I understand his hatred towards Bush.. Come on now.

10. erogla

erogla New Member

Chavez is a greedy evil pig that USED the real poor people of his nation for his own glory and power. I wont buy Citgo anymore.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys Citgo is the only gas that comes from Venezuela?

We import as much Oil from Venezuela as from Saudi Arabia. It's everywhere.....

12. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

Hugo cannot come to America and bash the Prez......Only we can do that.