1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap BT phone for sending phonebook?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aaf709, Aug 31, 2006.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I tried to do a search, but didn't really get the answer I wanted. I would like some suggestions from those who went this way.

I have a 2005 and am using Verizon as my cell phone provider. I would like to send the phonebook to the Prius. I know I can use a BT dongle and a laptop, but I don't have a laptop.

The other method is to get a cheap BT phone (non-Verizon) on eBay and use that to send the phonebook. Those that have done this, what's the best phone?

I know there are several BT phones that work with the Prius, but I'm looking for one who's sole purpose is to send a phonebook, maybe around $40. Ericsson, maybe.

Thanks!! :)

2. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 31 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]312264[/snapback]</div>
    a gsm motorola? v5xx? check out http://www.phonescoop.com
    you can select models that have bluetooth..
    or a sony ericsson t68i works too, i believe.. that should be cheap-o

also, you can get a phone from amp'd (e816) currently $150 on prepaid on www.ampd.com and modify it so that it works on verizon (by flashing to another carrier's firmware) and have it work to transfer contacts (OPP) to your Prius... for more info see:

http://motorola.szczuka.org/Hollywood_VZW_Bell.html
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=936923

This amp'd phone is exactly the same as what VZW markets as an E815, which is one of the best in reception that VZW offers. The only difference is that it comes with amp'd firmware, and the fact that you can flash it with the Bell firmware to enable Java, the bluetooth Object Push Profile (OPP), etc.

With the Sony Ericsson t68i, I believe you can do the transfer of multiple contacts at once, unlike the other two choices, in which case you'll have to transfer them 1 by 1

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luiset83 @ Sep 3 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]313368[/snapback]</div>
    I have an E815, hacked to an E815M, but it still won't do a transfer. I picked up a Sony Ericcson T68i and it works perfectly - transfers the entire phone book. If it's not included, you will have to also buy a smart chip, with a phone number (about $10.00) to make the phone work.

I use Susteen's Data Pilot to collect make the transfer from my E815 to the t68i. The Susteen cables will also allow the E815 to talk to Motorola Phone tools.

4. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks to both of you. :)

I just won a T68i on eBay, so I'll use that for the transfer.

5. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    UPDATE:

SUCCESS!!! It took a little bit, and I had to use extra intructions from the old database and john1701a's site, but after the dust cleared the whole phonebook was loaded. The T68i did the entire phonebook in one shot. Granted it was only 30 numbers, but it worked. :lol:

BTW, while the phone did need a SIM card, it didn't have to be activated.

6. nasafella

nasafella New Member

Just bought a used ATT Sony Ericson T68i on Ebay, $22 or something like that.

Wow, it works great.

I've got Verizon service and a Motorola E815, which works great for phone calls but of course no phone book transfer. So I got the T68i.

Transferred my Motorola phone book to my laptop using the Motorola Phone Tools I bought a while back. Sync'd to Outlook.

Then sync'd the T68i to Outlook.

Then transferred the phonebook from the T68i to the Prius.

Works really well. I think there's a lot of improvements in the '06 over previous years. Every phone number for a name imports (home, work, cell). Upper and lower case text. About 15 characters in the name.

Cool. Too bad it took so many totally un-necessary steps to get there.

I wish all the VP's and accountants and lawyers would bugger off, and let the engineers do what they're capable of. Verizon, and DirecTV, too.