1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cheap door replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shandai, Mar 15, 2011.

1. shandai

shandai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a gash in my rear driver's side door last year when I grazed a snowbank. Didn't claim it, it has rusted, and now I want to fix it as cheaply as possible. I had it quoted shortly after it happened, and they claimed that the entire door will need to be replaced, which will be over $2000.

Does anyone know how I might be able to find a cheaper door replacement, possibly from another used Prius? And if so, how I might get it installed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing that comes to mind would be to pull out the yellow pages and then call all of the junkyards listed and also try Craigslist.

The other thing that comes to mind would be to grind all of the rust out of the gash and then fill it with bondo - it is sort of like filling a hole in a wall with spackle. If you go this route make sure to get every bit of rust - grind away until all of the visible rust is gone and then grind away a bunch more - after you grind it do not let the metal stay exposed to the elements - prime it with a metal paint (like rust-olium). If you are thinking of getting the door replaced you could give it a try - the worst is that you will make a mess of it and need to replace the door after all.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    car-part.com. Also, autobeyours.com. Note that you will usually get only a "skin" rather than a complete door, and have to transfer all other parts like the interior panel and glass.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The driver's door on my 2004 received a new exterior "skin" after another vehicle hit that side of the car.

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depending on how bad it is and how nice you want it to look, an auto detailing shop may be able to clean up the rust and do a paint touch up. You'd still have the dent but the rust would be sorted and not look so bad. Most likely a lot cheaper than what a body shop would ask.

- D

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e