1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap fixes for dying 2 gen 2005 Prius hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Priustube, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Priustube

Priustube New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello priuschat,

I am currently in college so don't have much cash to spare and my job is actually driving for uber so I am kind of on low funds to fix my car. It was working fine a week ago and today just flashed all the warning lights and loss power a bit during acceleration. I am sure its a bad module and was quoted around $2500 for a new battery or $1800 for a refurbished one. I am wondering if I can do cell tests and replace the bad cell in order to get a working car even in just short term to get enough cash for a newer battery or a new car. Does anyone have experience with doing this? I heard dirty or corroated copper rails might also be an issue on this battery? I do have an electrician friend and access to a garage so I am up for it if it means I can get a few months more out of the car.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you can play whack a mole with replacement cells for as long as you don't have the money, but do have the time and patience to keep taking the battery out, repairing it and putting it back in.
    the more you do it, the better and quicker you get at it.

be careful, that's deadly voltage!

all the best(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. KevininFl

KevininFl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One more thing...Youtube will be your best friend with videos of the Torque app, and how to handle it,and thr battery problems.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes... But buying a good used module online can be a hassle. First one I bought went bad after 8 miles... That was a really, really sad day. I've always been impressed with this person's module: 2ndlifebattery on eBay They always show up super strong & hot!

It'll be good to have a module on hand when you get to work on it. Of course if you drive it around too much with warning lights you can do way more damage. And swapping out a module is a far cry from repaired for a long time because for best results the remaining modules need to be reconditioned, charged & balanced, which usually gives you enough info to detect the next modules likely to fail and remove those ones sooner rather than later when your car finds out and ruins your day with the red triangle of death.

But if you wanna do it all quick and dirty like and just clean the corrosion and replace a module and then do more work later when you have more money and more down time on the vehicle you can give it a shot. Then when you get to that point come back to this thread and we can walk you through your best options for testing/reconditioning being more thorough/successful.

In the meantime, have you done all the obvious stuff first: 1) read & research error codes logged when the check engine lights came on. 2) disconnect 12v battery, which will clear the codes to see if they come back, 3) check 12v battery health, 4) make sure battery pack cooling fan is not clogged, 5) Use Bluetooth OBD2 reader (Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus) and Hybrid Assistant app to run cooling fan at full speed to keep pack extra cool while you're working thru repairs, 6) Use Dr Prius app to read Hybrid battery pack subcodes, or Toyota Techstream is even better: Mini VCI J2534 OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Code Reader for Lexus Toyota Techstream New | eBay

There's way too much to explain really... This is just the start to the conversation...

#5 PriusCamper, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #1 listen to this man. He has done this before with success.
    #2 read this thread. I don’t understand how this is not a sticky.
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I have to ask, driving for Uber in Longmont how much do you drive when the brew houses shut down (2am)? I have been around there when the bars close, the cops are hard core. Oskar Blues is the bomb. I had never seen an Indian motorcycle in my life before I went there for Sunday brunch. There were 4 there. Pre war BMW,s, pre war Harley’s. Place was like motorcycle Disneyland.