1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap Fog-DRL Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by auricchio, Nov 15, 2008.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was able to rewire the Fog relay to turn the fogs into DRLs. The change is completely reversible; the only cost is some wire and a handful of crimp connectors.

The fogs illuminate when the car is in ign-on or ready mode.

Note 1: This is on my 2006.
    Note 2: The original fog function is disabled by this mod. (I never used the fogs anyway.)
    Note 3: The standard fogs automatically extinguish with high-beams. These won't. This may be a technical vehicle-code violation. So be it.

1. Open the relay box in the engine compartment on the firewall. Remove the fog relay (leftmost blue relay) by pulling straight out.

2. Remove the "PTC Htr 2" relay. I didn't see if the relays are identical; I just didn't mix 'em up. This was a convenient spot to pick up a 12v signal with the car in ign-on/ready mode.

3. Prepare two 6" wires with crimp connectors. I found a round lug plugged neatly into the 12v fog feed connector. On the other end, crimp a female quick-connect lug.

4. Connect these wires from the relay-box connectors to the corresponding fog-relay terminals. (We're simply extending the connections, since we're moving the relay away from its original position.)

5. Prepare a 6" wire with a female QC on one end. I tinned the bare end and hammered it flat. Place the bare end into the lower left coil contact for the PTC Htr relay, and plug that relay back in. The wire should jam tightly. Connect the wire's QC to one of the fog relay's coil contacts. (You can barely see this black wire in the second photo, going behind the second relay from left.)

7. Prepare a 12" wire with QC one end. Plug into the remaining coil contact of the fog relay, and wrap the bare end around the mounting bolt for the relay box. You can thread the wire through the bottom of the relay box.

8. I used thick foam double-sided tape to secure the relocated relay, then closed the relay box.

Attached Files:

HaroldW likes this.
  2. jorgeez

jorgeez New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great! Thanks for this post I was thinking of modding my fogs too. This is a nice one!

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks.

If you've got further questions, shoot me an email at: rick AT cfcl.com . I don't read the board often enough to pick up PMs quickly.

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  5. Lamboalex

Lamboalex Hyper-Miler in training

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did this foglight/DRL mod and it came out fantastic! Thx for your post!

6. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You wouldn't happen to know how to convert or add a delay off timer for the fogs?? Or the headlights on my 2008 touring Pri.

7. Zak2009ski

Zak2009ski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Just did the mod on the fog lights, works great