1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap Gas? Fill 'er up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rsforkner, May 29, 2008.

1. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Today, while on a trip to central Florida, I still had more than half a tank showing on the PIPs but I ran across a station at $3.859. I couldn't pass it up. I stopped and filled up with 4.2 gallons.

The street price around my home is $3.989 to $4.129! So at $0.15 per gallon I saved about $0.60. Still, it was too much to pass up. I guess I am hopelessly cheap! :p

Bob

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm right there with you. After Hurricane Katrina, some refineries were down and production was reduced. This can only mean higher gas prices so I "short tanked" and topped off. Sure enough, the price spiked the next day. By the time I needed gas again - two weeks later - prices had settled back again.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping to do that. Last time I filled up was end of April, at $3.69/gal, so I was hoping after Memorial Day it would drop a bit, but I don't see that happening and I'm down to 2 bars now. (I have a short commute and bike most days, but drive on the weekends and such).

My colleagues are upset at me though, in a meeting somebody asked me how the high gas prices were treating me (knowing that I drive a Prius), and I had to say, "I don't know, I haven't been to the gas station since April."

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They've stopped asking me.

5. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm in almost exactly the same boat as you, except I'm still at 3 bars. I also have a short commute, don't bike, but frequently telecommute.

I'm just waiting for the subject to come up, so I can say, "June already? I think I have to buy gas this month!"

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Every time I hear the news that there was a refinery fire or explosion here in California, I drop what I am doing and go fill the car. Sometimes it's a race between me and the gas station - whether I get there before they up the price.

7. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its funny you say that. A few times gas prices went up quickly at all the gas stations around me because of something going on in the news. Apparently the station I buy gas does not have someone on staff during the day to raise the price signs, so instead they put signs on all the pumps stating "Sorry no 87 available". I assume because the profit margin is higher on the 89 and above. I always pump the 87 and sure enough there's always gas available to fill my car. Sometimes I'll pass by the station later that night and sure enough the prices are marked up and they... surprise surprise have 87 available again.

8. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Once, before the Prius, I was visiting my brother. I always checked out prices on the way up, knowing that I would have to fill up before I started home. (Prices in central Florida were usually about $0.10 less than in south Florida). I found one in Lake Wales and made a note to stop on the way back.

When I headed home a few hours later the price had gone up about 7 cents a gallon. Sure wish I had filled up when I saw it the first time.

Bob