1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap plastic used to keep things light?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by fwilliam, Apr 11, 2019.

1. fwilliam

fwilliam Junior Member

I have owned a Prius Prime since October. Wonderful gas milage. But I find that some of the plastic is thin and breakable. A switch on the dashboard collapsed leaving a hole where it had been. My driver side mirror developed cracks and is now kept on by electrical tape.

The dealer fixed the hole in my dashboard. But when I asked about the cracks in the mirror, the response was that somehow I was responsible for the damage. Although the mirror had never been hit and had absolutely no scratches or dents on it, the cracks were supposedly from an "impact" after I had received the vehicle.

Looking at my Subaru, I see the difference. The Prius mirror is made made like a toy, and a fragile one at that. The Subaru mirror is metal with a plastic shield, while the Prius is all thin, black plastic.

I would pay a little more in gas costs to get a vehicle that was a little sturdier. I think the dealer should have replaced the mirror as well. This is a $27,000 car, yet the guarantee on its plastic parts is over already.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    light weight and don't forget the cheap, er, cost effective.:ROFLMAO:

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, there are a lot to dislike about PRIME especially in durability department. So far, I had windshield cracked, front grill sub-assembly chipped, and hatch door back-panel rusted. I do wish they make them more durable. That said, it still is a fantastic value (if you do not have to pay to fix it) and out of the world fuel efficiency. Yeah, Ioniq supposed to beat PRIME in efficiency department, but are they more durable than PRIME??? I doubt it.