1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap suspension upgrade: Front and rear sway bar?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Nov 5, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently swapped my 17" Centerline wheels back onto my car to show it at the Green Drive Expo. I had forgotten how fun it is to drive with the larger wheels. :D

I have read through many threads on upgrading the rear sway bar on the GenII but unfortunately I am not in a position to purchase a $150+ aftermarket sway bar. I will be looking for parts at a salvage yard for my girlfriend's daughter's Civic and figured while I was there I could look for a rear and possibly front sway bar off of a Corolla or Matrix if they will fit my GenII.

So my questions are:

#1 Rear sway bar - are there other car models that have larger sway bars that will fit the GenII? So far it seems like those from the 2003-2006 Corolla fit. My roomate has a 2004 Corolla S and he is going to measure the rear bar for me.

#2 Front sway bar - same question as above.

#3 Could you please list the size of the bars that come off these other cars?

Thanks!

2. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can put a Corolla/Matrix 24mm TRD REAR bar on your car. They are just a tad over $100. But I've checked with TRD and the rep that I spoke to did not recommend it since it was not made specifically for the Prius, even though it would fit. Some members here reported good improvement with one member who appeared to be familiar with high-speed driving says that this size bar does make the tail happy. personally I would love to put a 24 mm bar on my Prius, but I am uncomfortable with the idea of putting something on the car that was not designed for it. I mean if it fits, TRD would have approved it for the Prius but there's probably a reason that they did not. Perhaps maybe its just as simple as them not doing any significant testing.

The front-size bar on the Base Prius I believe is 20 mm. The Touring is 22 mm.

The rear is 19mm for the Base, and 20 mm for the Touring I think.

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not aware of any other cars that use the same/similar front sway bar, so getting the touring bar is probably your best bet there.

In the rear - if the stock Corolla/Matrix bar is 20mm+ it will be cheap to find from a pick & pull place or similar.

xeRin8 likes this.
  4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Azipod.

The TRD bar would be approx. 2.49 times stiffer than the stock bar if material strengths are equal.

I'm looking for the stock size of the Corolla bars. If the stock size is 21mm or better then it could be worth the effort to get one from a wrecking yard for $20. :) I know I'm being ultra cheap here but if it turns out to make a very noticeable difference then other PC members might find the info useful.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's stiffness (modulus of elasticity) that matters not strength and all steels are about the same stiffness (29-30EE6 lb/in^2) in the elastic region where the bars work.:rockon:

The thing to watch for when comparing stiffness is if one is hollow or hollower than the other.

Old Wrench It likes this.
  6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good catch! I meant to add construction to the description to cover hollow vs. solid. :D

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let us know what you find (tubular vs solid) in the boneyards. Tubular cost a bit more to make but save weight so stock Prius would have reason to be tubular. They went to great lengths to reduce Prius weight, but I don't think they went tubular on the bars for some reason.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some searching on 9thgencorolla.com finds the stock 2003-2006 Corolla bar is 19mm. :( I'll find out tomorrow what size bar is on my roomate's car.

9. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 9th gen Corolla bars will fit. The rear is 20mm.[​IMG]
    The front however is 24mm. I've had them all on my '08. I'm currently running a TRD rear bar with the OEM Prius front bar. I autocross and the Corolla front bar caused too much understeer while racing however, was AWESOME on the street. You probably won't notice much difference using the OEM Corolla rear bar. If I remember correctly, the Corolla bar is solid whereas the Touring Prius bar is hollow. The only issue I've had with the TRD rear bar was the bar shifting in the beam after a few hundred miles. I installed Corolla mounting bolts and this solved the problem. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

2 people like this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Paul, that is great news! I thought I was stuck with the stock front bar. :)

So all I have to do is source a stock front and rear bar from a 9th gen Corolla? I assume I'll need the brackets and bushings as well due the different in size.

11. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yep, just keep in mind, to install the front bar you'll need to remove the center section of the exhaust.

12. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone confirm the stock front sway bar on the Corolla 2003-2007 is 24mm? Does TRD make one that is maybe say 26mm?

13. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can confirm that it is 24mm. TRD makes a front/rear set for Corolla/Matrix however it is rather rare (expensive, so I hear) so I'm unsure the size of the front bar.

24mm stock 03-08 Corolla front sway bar and 24mm TRD rear Corolla/Matrix sway bar makes for a rather nice handling Prius.

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the 24mm Matrix front bar on my car now and can verify that is a straight replacement for the stock bar, (mine was 20mm). That one part made the single biggest handling/stability improvement on my car.

And, just so you know, I have the BT under chassis brace, the BT front strut tower brace, TRD struts and coils on all 4 corners and 17" Gram Lite wheels and finally the Matrix rear bar.

15. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Michael,

What model years Matrix has the compatible 24mm bar? Want to ensure I get the right one.

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will pull the paperwork for the part number and post it.

17. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm assuming you'll need the larger bushings for the bar as well. How about the brackets?

18. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, you will need the bar and the bushings, not the brackets.

Bar: 48811-AB011 Bar, Stabilizer, FR

Bushings: 48815-02100 Bush, Stabilizer (2 needed)

That will get it done for you.
    Michael

4 people like this.
  19. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, Michael!

20. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member