1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap winter tire/wheels package ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lowspeed, Feb 14, 2006.

1. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Looking for a winter tire/wheel package... tirerack is a little expensive.

Any suggestions ?

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

How cheap is your life? B)

Seriously, can't get cheaper than steel rims, which adds to shipping. You can get the cheapest snow tires, but where's the advantage? Unless you paid cash, if you avoid one accident because of proper winter tirs, they are worth the less than $500 cost (say for Michelin X-Ice if you drive alot, or Blizzak Revos or WS50s for less driving.

Don't forget that with the Tire Pressure Montors built into the Prius Valve Stems, you can't just swap out tires from your basement/garage/storage bin. Additional stems cost 100+ EACH. The whole subject of TPMs is covered on other threads.

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Wait .. i can't just buy the tires and have them mounted on the original wheels ?

I was considering these tires...
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...id=009242&ar=65

4. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Sure, and they just use the TPM from your current tires, and then switch back after winter. I ordered from tirerack because
    - they are a PriusChat supporter by paying for Banner ads
    - they are partnered with a local dealer that has a good rep for installation
    - MeglaMart said they can't special order winter tires, even from maufacturers they use

By all means, if your local place has a better price for tires , use them. Note that in most areas, Tirerack doesn't need to add sales tax, which offsets shipping.

5. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

SO what's the problem of just using steel wheels with no stems ?

Can't i disable the TPM ?

Now that i read about how its not so easy to switch tires with TPM because of the stems... i think i'm just going to get a wheel/tire package... but you say there's a problem with that ?

6. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Hmm anyone ?

7. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only the 06 has tpms. If you run with a rim that doesn't habe toyota tpms indicators on them you will get a warning light in out dash (the low pressure thingy). I would either ignore that warning light or put some tape over it to hide it. Nothing else will be affacted.

As a side note the TPMS system toyota has choose to use sucks. There is currently no easy way to fit these sensor on to other rims and the listed price for the sensors seem outrageous. Some toyotra dealers seem to switch tires onto your prius rims "for free". I really hope Toyota pays for this until they have a reasonable soltuion. The TPMS system adds VERY LITTLE to the car, it will soon be a fed mandate. I don't feel more comfortable knowing that my car will warn me if the pressure is low. I'm not driving an explorer so I don't think I will tip over.