1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheaper Catshield Alternatives

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by brycwh, Dec 19, 2021.

1. brycwh

brycwh New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so I purchased this cheaper cat shield:
    and wanted to see if anyone could confirm that it looks like a decent alternative to the more expensive ones out there. Or, maybe someone has a good recommendation for a cheaper alternative? I’m a college student on a pretty tight budget that has to travel to California for some personal business pretty often in the coming months.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I go back to my old question - has a Gen 4 PRIUS (now pushing 6yrs old) - ever had a Cat stolen?

Nobody has reported a single one on Prius Chat. So I suspect it's NONE.

One of the Cats needs the engine removed (almost) to find it anyway. And the other is so small, I suspect the serious thieves wouldn't bother.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm, I find it telling that they don't tell you the material that the shield is made of, just that it's "aluminum". Well so is aluminum foil lol.

I suppose some kind of shield is better than no shield, and may deter a thief based on the presence of something there, even if it may not be a harder heat tempered alloy like 7XXX or 6XXX, etc.

When you get it, try flexing it. It should be very rigid and difficult to bend. If it flexes easily, then it is probably made of soft aluminum.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes stolen.
    Not mine but to a friend of mine in the parking lot of her work in the middle of the day. Cost was $1600

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh - that's the first response I've had in the 4 or so years I've asked. You'd have to wonder about the thieves - obviously didn't know that they were just getting a baby converter with very little value to them.

amos likes this.
  6. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well me too, I don't have the shield installed. And I never knew it had 2 converters. So I guess they took that small one? Never asked just felt sorry for her and was wondering if I should get one or not.
    After it happened, was looking at Amazon .saw some at about $50 but didn't buy yet.now that I know they need to take the whole engine apart, I'll just wait. anyways my car is always inside the garage . I thought many Priuses had their cats stripped. Mmmm

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The primary targets were Gen 2 - and to a lesser extent Gen 3. This is 2 views of Gen 4's first Catalytic Converter.

upload_2021-12-20_21-8-23.png

Not 100% certain if you need to remove the engine - but I can't see how you could do it in-situ - or cut a hole in the cabin floor (*)

upload_2021-12-20_21-9-35.png

(*) - not as silly as it sounds - well, maybe in a locked PRIUS. But we had an early Ford Falcon here in Australia and if the WELCH PLUG needed replacing at the back of the engine - 2 choices - remove engine - or cut hole in floor. Many holes were cut in floors.

amos likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The OP's shield should work just fine. To the accomplished knowledgeable thief, any shield is only a visual deterrent against the novice.

amos likes this.
  9. IamPrius

IamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota Prius
    The Toyota Prius is the most recognizable hybrid on the road—and that’s why it’s one of the vehicles catalytic converter thieves target the most.

Because the gasoline-powered engine in the Prius (and most other hybrids) doesn’t run all of the time, the catalytic converter doesn’t have to work as hard. As a result, the converter is more likely to stay in better condition longer, thereby retaining more of its precious metals.
    https://www.carparts.com/blog/what-cars-are-targeted-for-catalytic-converter-theft-the-most-often/

10. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The experienced, pro-thieves (organized crime) know better than to hit the Gen 4s. The amateurs, I'm more concerned about them just mucking about and causing expensive repairs. So I got the shield as a visual deterrent. The true deterrent is that my street parking is in front of a popular store (daytime traffic), in a neighborhood with active night life / near a popular park.