1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheaper to buy a new or used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yarzy, Aug 25, 2006.

1. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Next spring I plan on getting a Prius. I would like to be able to get an 06, package 8 (no leather) at that time. I was thinking that with the tax incentive, would it be cheaper to buy an 07 at that time? Since the Prius is such a unique car, I am not sure how this works...

Thanks!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I roomed with a guy at Hybridfest who eventually bought a Package 1 Prius. With the tax-break incentives, he paid approximately USD $18,500. You would be hard-presesd to find a used Prius in general much less a good one that the owner is willing to part with for less than $20,000.

That's just my opinion.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius in the last couple years only depreciated <10% per year, as opposed to the standard auto industry depreciation of >25% per year. Therefore, you could buy a used Prius for only slightly cheaper and not get a tax credit, or buy a brand new one with the tax credit (remember it's only 50% after Sept 30, 2006). I personally chose the latter.

4. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

I would never buy a used computer ;)

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Um, the only problem with that is that the 2006 Package 8 comes WITH leather. If you DON'T want leather, the 2006 Package 7 has everything Package 8 has minus the leather (it has cloth seats instead but everything else is otherwise the same as #8). And it depends on the package prices for the new 2007's vs the used 2006's come early 2007 because the Prius tends to hold onto its value pretty well.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's been pointed out on other threads - to date, i believe the 2007 doesn't qualify for the tax credit (hopefully someone can post the link i saw a few days ago to confirm/deny this). Also, the tax credit decreases each quarter starting in the 4th quarter of this year, so by next spring, it's going to be cut in half a couple of times (once for the 4th quarter of this year, again for the 1st quarter of next year, etc) until it disapears... i'm not sure how many quarters there are before it goes away.

7. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got a mailer last night from my accountant that spelled out the phase-out for the hybrid tax credit for Toyotas. Too bad I threw it away, doh! It stated that the 50% tax credit for Toyotas (b/c they've reached the 60K hybrids sold threshold) would begin Oct 2006. With that in mind, here's what I found online:

Hybrid Car Tax Credit Phase-Out Details

* Beginning January 1, 2006 and up through the quarter that the automaker sells 60,000 hybrid vehicles, 100% of the credit is allowed.
    * 100% of the hybrid car tax credit continues for the next consecutive quarter.
    * The next two quarters after that, the tax credit is reduced to 50% of the original hybrid car tax credit.
    * Then, for the next two quarters after that, the tax credit is reduced to 25% of the original hybrid car tax credit.
    * Finally, the hybrid car tax credit for that automakers’ hybrids drops to zero.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have to dispute stated depreciations of any kind for the Prius is good condition. used Priuses with as much as 30,000 miles on them are selling for more than MSRP around here.

my 2004 Prius package #1 with rear wiper was 19,990 with wiper (189 or so i think) destination $570 i think, was driven for 25 months, had 28,000 miles on it and i have a preliminary estimate of $21,500 for a settlement on it from the other insurance company. so exactly, what is the rate of depreciation on my car??

9. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 25 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]309350[/snapback]</div>
    And if you were to price it as of today's date on Edmunds or KBB, you're still looking at a suggested retail price of ~20K if it's in excellent condition... :)

I paid MSRP for my 2006 Package 8 (a little over 29K) in Feb and now that KBB finally has the 2006 Prius on their used car pricing selection, I priced it out and they're giving me a suggested retail price of over 29K. How's that for depreciation for a 6+month old car with just over 10K on the odo? :D

10. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    It's a more complex question than it appears. The answer depends greatly upon what you want and need, and what you're willing to give up in exchange for other things.

One major factor is the disappearance of the tax credit for used hybrids. This has caused a significant shift in demand toward the new side of the market, and depressed values on the used cars. I found (stumbled on actually would be more accurate) an 04 Prius, Package #9, mint condition, only 15k miles, with the 7/100 Toyota Cert Used wty. Although it was well marked up to start with, I ended up getting it for barely over $20k. This car as an 06 would cost nearly $30k. Since I wanted a lot of the things included in Pack9, I found this to be an outstanding deal, and bought the car. By contrast, the guy mentioned above who bought a Pack1 car new might find that deal preferrable if extras are not his thing.

In the end, so long as you're considering both used and new, you've got to go out (or on line) and seel what's really selling for what in your market before you can answer this question for yourself.

11. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    From what I've have seen at least here in N.C., used Prii cost as much as, if not more than new ones. The major factor in that seems to be that the used one is here and if available. We still have 6-8 week waiting times for new Prii, so if you want it and want it now, used price = new price. I could get probably a little more ($500-$1000) for my 2006 package #5 than I paid one month ago.

12. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Shoot, I should hustle up there to NC before the bubble bursts and sell my car!

13. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've always been picky about used cars...with regular cars you were always worried about buying someone else's problems. I prefer new.

I have the 2007 Package 5 on order which has all options except the leather. My dealer has mentioned that expected delivery time would be about 3-4 months, so around November-December (which is ok with me since I am getting my credit worked on during that time and will be ready to finance by then too)

As for the tax credit, my purchase will me after the Sept 30 deadline but I am ok with that. At least I will still get some credit versus not getting one at all.

14. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 25 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]309515[/snapback]</div>
    Is the tax credit valid for the 2007 Prius?

15. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Aug 25 2006, 07:33 AM) [snapback]309252[/snapback]</div>
    #1. There is no tax credit on a used Prius.

#2. If you can find a new one (and there are still some available that you could take delivery of before the end of September) you would be better off buying now. The difference between the 2006 and 2007 isn't that much.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Aug 25 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]309533[/snapback]</div>
    It has nothing to do with the model year. You could have gotten the full credit by buying a new 2005 and completing the deal (taking delivery & paying) after 1/1/2006.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, when i went and ordered my replacement Prius, upgraded to pkg 4. it would be $3000 more than what i paid for my dearly departed 2004 with nothing but the basics. was also offered a 2004 pkg 3 for $1500 less with "only" 27,000 miles on it. but could have drove off that day in it. my new 2006 will take an estimated 6-8 weeks so i will only be in the 50% tax credit group. dont really care about that part. well i do, but not at the expense of not waiting for what i want.

hoping for an extra allocation to come in