1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheapest insurance for a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jks1985, Nov 16, 2013.

1. jks1985

jks1985 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought a 2012 Toyota Prius the other day and I'm looking for the cheapest insurance for the thing.

I am a 28 year old male, single, and no accidents or traffic violations on my record

I'm looking to see where I can find the cheapest car insurance. I checked out motor trend and saw that the average insurance prices for the thing will be around $1300/year. Is this accurate?

I know there are a lot of things that come into play when determining your insurance costs and that the cheapest isn't always the best.

Anyways, can I have your suggestions pls?

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have Geico and pay $52 per month full coverage. I suggest shop around and make a few calls. Every 3 years I shop around but managed to keep with Geico. If I recall Allstate, Liberty, AAA and Farmers were the most expensive for me. The lowest was Geico, Progressive and Mercury.

I heard a Mercury will drop you if you get a ticket or an accident.

Just get a spread sheet out and do a price comparison.

AAA wants you to pay a year policy in 9 monthly payments but geico will take monthly payments. I recall that from 3 years ago.

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I kno

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I kno

5. jks1985

jks1985 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh thanks for the info. By the way can someone delete my other thread? This question got posted twice. I think there are a few kinks with this forum.

I'm spending the day getting quotes from different insurance companies. Should be fun ;)

6. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had geico for over 5 years and cant find anyone else cheaper than geico. i always pay 6 months premium at once it gives extra discount and also peace of mind for 6 months that i dont have to worry about paying insurance. i had about $312 for 6 months full insurance on my prius with $500 deductible on comprehensive and collision until i missed the payment due and didnt pay for a whole month and they dropped my insurance which i dont blae them for doing so, and then to restart the same insurance was $368 and thats what i have now, still alot cheaper than any other insurance, progressive quoted me same coverage for $578

7. BrianPB

BrianPB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I pay $132 per month for 15k/30k bodily injury, 50k property damage, $1000 deductibles for collision/comprehensive. I have GEICO and I am 21 with no accidents/ no tickets. It should be less for you since you since you are over 25

8. jks1985

jks1985 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks umar
    i think i'm going to pay for premium all at once also (6 months)
    it's funny you say that, progressive also quoted at a similar price - $575
    geico - $538
    allstate - $550
    Esurance - $539
    state farm - $525

the cheapest was actually from a small site Compare Auto Insurance Quotes - 4AutoInsuranceQuote.com (401) 580-7272 .. they quoted me at $65/month, which works out to like $450 for a 6 month policy. unfortunately, they don't have enough reviews, so i feel uneasy using them

state farm was the best of the big companies

another "smaller" company
    Arbella Insurance | Car Insurance and Home Insurance in MA, NH, CT, RI
    gave me a quote at $535/month and they seem very reputable.

so, right now it's down to geico or state farm. both seem fit for the job

9. BrianPB

BrianPB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got a quote from Wawanesa insurance that was cheaper than GEICO for me, but I was reading some reviews on Wawanesa and there were a fair amount of negative reviews. My cousin has filed a claim with GEICO before and she had a good experience with them so I figured I would pay a little more and go with a larger more reputable company.

10. jks1985

jks1985 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the Wawanesa suggestion. unfortunately, i don't think they offer insurance in my area :(

11. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have Progressive and did the Snapshot thing and get 26% off. Not sure what my injury/uninsured levels are without checking, but I have $500 comprehensive, $250 collision, rental car, etc. for about $430 every six months (again, that's with the 26% discount and whatever discount you get for paying it all at once). I highly recommend trying snapshot if you don't drive too much--I think it benefits people who drive less than 50 miles/day and not between the hours of midnight and 4am the most. My best friend used it and it saved her the full 30%.

JMD likes this.