1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheapest way to add a Smart Key near Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamesejam, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jamesejam

jamesejam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It took me a few days of phone calls and web searches to figure out; now I'd like to share my findings with others...

follow these steps -

1. Buy a new Smart Key from Metro Toyota Parts Department in Brook Park, Ohio. Their brand new Smart Keys are the best priced I've found - about $150, and that price includes the emergency key insert. The website is www dot metrotpn dot com

NOTE - THOUGH IT MAY BE TEMPTING TO FIND A USED ONE ON EBAY FOR $50, DO NOT BUY A USED SMART KEY FROM ANYWHERE IF YOU WANT ALL THE SMART KEY FUNCTIONS TO WORK WITH YOUR CAR! THEY WILL NOT WORK! YOU MUST BUY A BRAND NEW KEY!

2. Make an appointment at Round Rock Toyota to get it programmed. I called every local dealer and a handful of local locksmiths and they all wanted $100 or more. Round Rock Toyota does it for $59.95.

If you follow the above instructions to a tee, you will save nearly $100 total and have a new Smart Key for just over $200, instead of the $300+ if you just buy the key and the programming from wherever.