1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheating Gas Stations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by turtlebud, Jul 19, 2006.

1. turtlebud

turtlebud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got my second tank of gas today and was pretty shocked at the difference between the computer's MPG and my calculated MPG. I can understand a small difference - my first tank said I got 52.0 MPG and the calculated average (based on mileage and gallons pumped) was 51.1 MPG. This time however, the computer said I got 55.0 MPG, but the calculated average was 46.5 MPG. I got gas around the same time (ie, fuel meter recently went to one bar), but last time I pumped 9.8 gallons and this time, 10.9 gallons. I pumped at different stations (both Chevrons) so I'm wondering if the second station was shorting me (or overcharging me) on gas. Is there any way to verify my suspicisions?

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It varies state by state. Here in Washington they trust the people who install the pumps and check they very infrequently. I would look at comparing a 3 or 4 tank average. The bladder in the tank makes "fill ups" unreliable on a tank by tank basis.

3. turtlebud

turtlebud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, now I'm really suspicious of the second Chevron that I've been pumping at. Here are my first 4 pumps at two different Chevrons.

#1 - 9.769 gal - 499 miles - MFD = 52.0, MPF = 51.1, 1 bar left - Chevron #1
    #2 - 10.90 gal - 506 miles - MFD = 55.0, MPF = 46.4, 1 bar left - Chevron #2
    #3 - 9.410 gal - 569 miles - MFD = 53.3, MPF = 60.5, 1 bar left - Chevron #1
    #4 - 11.59 gal - 436 miles - MFD = 53.6, MPF = 37.6, 2 bar left - Chevron #2

Each pump was done in the morning around 8/8:30am. I find it weird that Chevron #2 always pumps at least 1 gallon more even though I should have about the same amount of gas left the in tank. This last pump really stood out as I still have two bars left on the gas guage and it pumped 11.59 gallons.

Can the bladder make that much of a difference or could Chevron #2 be report more gas than it actually pumps?

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

There is no enforcement of fuel pump accuracy here in California. They "terminated" that group of state employees because it was too expensive. They go on the honor system now. I would quit trading at Chevron #2 if I were you.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Given that the maximum tank size is 11.9 gallons, that last fillup is extremely suspicious - you must have been running on fumes when you pulled into the gas station!

I'd definately stop going there. perhaps you could take your data to a local news station and get them to report it (i know around here you occasionally see reports do a "crime watchers" segment, during which they take letters from listeners and investigate on potential practices like your describing).

If this second one is extremely close to your house or work and you'd be going out of your way sometimes to go to the other one, you could try measuring the pump yourself. go to the hardware store and buy a 5 gallon gas can (use it in a lawnmower or something) and pump exactly 5 gallons into it - if it's filled to the fill line, then the pump would appear to be working correctly. if it's below the line, then go out of your way to avoid that station.

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Aug 10 2006, 04:28 AM) [snapback]300714[/snapback]</div>
    Get two 5 gallon gas cans and go to station #1, fill them up completely and see how much you get in them.

Then pour the gas from the cans into your cars and then go to station #2 and fill the cans up completely and see how much gas their pumps claimed to fill the cans.

If station #2 is over reporting the amount of gas by a significant amount, then call your local TV station. They'd love a story like that.

7. monkeypox

monkeypox New Member

Funny thing is that I to have a diff in MPG on the MFD and when I calc by hand for MPG's. I am off some times by 4.5 MPG's ... Hummmmm interesting..
    Monks

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is a difference in the MFD and the "Actual" calculated by hand - most have shown that it's in the range of 1-2 MPG (by averaging out over years worth of data), but individual tanks do vary.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Aug 10 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]300714[/snapback]</div>
    I respectfully disagree with jbarnhart on this point. In California weights and measures accuracy are enforced on a local level.

In Los Angeles County the enforcement is quite stringent.

L.A. County Department of Agricultural Commissioner/Weights & Measures

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 10 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]301104[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently it isn't so stringent in Solano County.

Several weeks ago I filled up my Jeep Grand Cherokee at at gas station in Dixon, CA. I think it was a Union 76, but I'm not positive (I'd have to look at the receipt). In all the years of owning the vehicle I've only managed to put 21 gallons of fuel in the tank a couple times, and that was after driving for a while on empty, with the needle below the 'E'. The day I filled up in Dixon I managed to put in 25 gallons according to the pump, even though my fuel gauge registered 1/8 tank before the fillup. So I think I only really put in perhaps 19 gallons. A gallon or two off could be my mistake, but this was off by 25 or 30%.

I plan to write a complaint letter to the Solano County Dept of Weights & Measure, for whatever good that will do.

11. Alrobot

Alrobot Junior Member

Welcome to the Prius world. I have not seen a less accurate gas guage in my life. I agree to avoid stations that seem suspect. But over time the GUESS gauge has been unreliable at best. I usually go 75 to 80 after Add Fuel comes on, I have run out 2 times now, and usually put in 9 to 9.5 gallons.

Al...

12. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Word I have here in Washington is that pumps must be accurate til the auto-shutoff. Past that, anything goes. Part of why they say "Don't top it off"... it's hard to build a gauge that works well on a trickle, harder still to calibrate for it.

We are complaint-based in addition to a few random checks. My understanding is that a complaint generates a visit within 2 days, but the visit finds the calibrations are "close enough" most of the time, and we rarely have station cited for negligence or abuse.
    cheers
    Bob

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Aug 14 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]303148[/snapback]</div>
    I have seen a few specific pumps that I think are off. Now I can not speak to the whole station but I tend to use one pump at a station. When I get consistent low mpg I split. I have twice complained. I my case both of the stations did a major overall of the station with replacement of all of the pumps. I can not say how they did as both changes their gasoline providers and I moved on. The State of Washington assures me everything is OK, but at these prices even a minor error in favor of the station could generate a lot of profit. Not like they are taking $.27 for a fill up like I was in High School.