1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHECK ALIGNMENT!!! MPG INCREASE - WAAAY OFF

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bigmahma, Jun 14, 2007.

1. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

I was getting kinda bad numbers compared to what you guys were seeing.

Someone told me to check the alignment..

OMG

It was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Fixed Alignment.

It's free under warrenty for 12 months or 12k miles

2. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WOW! Mine was off & I think it did get better, and with bran new all weather snow mud tires. The old dealer tires were completely shot at 30k. I will now have it checked anually. That was interesting...

3. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Out-of-alignment Priuses were a major headache with the '01-'02 models, but I haven't heard much about the issue since '04s came out.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I took mine into the dealer to get the alignment checked this weekend.

Long story short - they road tested the car and wrote that they did not find any problem, but I did not get a readout on the alignment, so I have to assume they did not put the car on the alignment machine :angry:

I got a survey form stapled to the invoice (N/C) so I am going to fill it out and let them know that I'm not pleased.

I am done with the dealership for service on both of the Toyota cars. I will do the maintenance myself - I will take it to a independent shop for everything that I can't handle.

5. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 18 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]464158[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota dealers are desperate because the cars don't break down as often as others. They are really really bad especially the maintenance people. I mean they don't even follow advice on how much oil to refill :blink:

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Jun 18 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]464219[/snapback]</div>
    On the alignment, it was more of a communication problem than a negligent tech problem:

1. Asked for alignment check at 5k service, but Service Writer (SW) said that they didn't have anyone available (it was 7pm) and I would have to make separate appt. Described symptoms and SW said that the Prii that she had driven didn't handle per my description, so they would check it No Charge.

2. Called last week, talked to a different SW, made an appt. for Sat Morn for an Alignment check. SW didn't ask about symptoms.

3. Arrived Sat AM, SW that I was supposed to talk to was too busy, handed off to 3rd SW. Gave my description of symptoms to him. Also added that there is a subtle pull to left when braking since the 5k service (when the tires were rotated) He wrote brief description on Service Order.

4. Waited 1 1/2 hours for car. Finally called to cashier, car is ready, No charge. Service Tech notes: (paraphrased) Drove car, didn't experience any issues, checked rear brake adjustment, no problems found. No data on alignment or any comments about alignment.

5. Now having wasted 1 1/2 hours, cannot complain to Cashier (not her fault) or the Valet (not his fault), I could complain to the SW, but decide to take the car rather than waste any more of my Sat Morning.

Based on this experience and my experience with the 5k service described in this post:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=454820

I think I would be better off just doing it myself.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 18 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]464306[/snapback]</div>
    5. As long as I was there I would bitch to the office lady then go in to the showroom and start bitching in front of buyers until someone there with at least half a brain gets up off their lazy nice person and actually looks at the car. Also make sure your car is blocking a bay door. Sounds like your dealer hired ex-Chevy people.

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 18 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]464395[/snapback]</div>
    They did look at the car (at least they said they did), but my mistake was assuming that just because I asked them to check the alignment, they would actually check the alignment.

I think at this point, I might be better off taking it to a good alignment shop where I can explain what is happening and get feedback from the actual tech. My theory is that the toe in is set to exactly 0° (or maybe toe-out just a slight amount). 0° Toe in is actually within spec (0° ±0.2°), so they won't change it. It handles fine at lower speeds, but at 65 mph or higher it seems like it needs a lot more steering correction than our other vehicles. I'm thinking that at higher speeds, the toe out increases due to the force on the tires and it gets less stable. An independent alignment shop would probably be willing to set more toe-in if this were the case.

But of course, that's just a theory at this point since I don't know what the actual toe setting is. ;)

Blocking the bay door sounds like an excellent strategy, unfortunately this dealer doesn't allow customers anywhere near the actual service area; they have a valet crew that takes your car back to the service area and retrieves it when its done.

The bitching in the showroom is also an excellent strategy which my dad employed once many years ago to get the dealership to do the right thing; however that's a whole thread on its own. :lol:

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Looks like I'm headed back to the dealership. [attachmentid=9062]

Attached Files:

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 19 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]464988[/snapback]</div>
    OWCH! But I like the chart, if it is accurate for the mounting bolts.

My used Prius had 49,000 miles and was well past the dealer warranty. Good luck!!

Bob Wilson

11. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm just a little bit past 6k. Should be under warranty, but I'm anticipating that they will try to argue that I hit something. I haven't. I noticed the handling was a bit strange at highway speeds when I first got the car, but decided to wait until the 5k service because it wasn't that horrible, just a bit disconcerting.

I searched under "rear alignment" and have been reading other posts. I saw that you solved the problem with shims, but my RR wheel is out pretty far, so something must be bent. I also read that someone thinks that it may be a transporter who is overzealous with the tiedowns; that seems like a likely scenario to me.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 20 2007, 12:42 AM) [snapback]465086[/snapback]</div>
    My maintenance manual references a special Toyota tool for toe adjustment . . . some sort of pipe and threaded affair. However, the sketch is not good enough to tell how it actually works. However, the shim kit includes a 1/8 inch which put on one side would probably handle the 1/4 inch offset very nicely. Once both wheels have equal toe, the other numbers will change and the rest should be easy to fix.

Regardless, work the warranty issue since this will give the best end-result. I wouldn't worry about what 'user errors' are claimed if the dealer will simply show you the evidence. Heck, claim they bent it before you bought it and ask for proof (aka., a pre-sales alignment sheet.) <grins>

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jun 20 2007, 05:46 AM) [snapback]465132[/snapback]</div>
    That is exactly what I'm going to do if they try to claim that I bent it.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

If I may threadjack a little bit ..

I have checked the alignment on my car after running over a curb at about 30 mph, and was surprised to find it in spec.

But I now notice that the steering wheel is about 5 degrees off center when driving straight. I'm not positive that this happened after the curb run-in, but I'd like to fix it.

Any ideas where the mechanic should look, and likely repair/cost ?

15. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 18 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]464158[/snapback]</div>

Sounds almost exactly like my experience with Roseville Toyota. Since you're in the neighborhood would you care to name and shame so those of us nearby can be properly prepared as well?

(At my 5k service they flat refused to put it on the alignment machine without making me leave it for 24 hours "cold soak" and a new drive test in the morning. They also over-filled my oil after arguing with me about how much to put in it :rolleyes: )

16. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 22 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]466413[/snapback]</div>
    A regular alignment shop should be able to recenter the wheel for you assuming that nothing is bent or otherwise damaged. They would need to adjust both tie rod ends so that an equal amount of threads are visible on each side. The procedure is covered in the Service Manual under Suspension.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Platypus @ Jun 22 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]466471[/snapback]</div>

Maita. My car just spent most of today in the Service Dept. but they were not able to fix. They have to order a camber bolt which they could not find at any local dealer.

I have more story to tell after I get a chance to scan the alignment data from the dealer.

17. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I posted today's story in a different thread:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=466764

because it seemed like a better fit for troubleshooting forum than for the fuel economy forum.

Long story short - they still haven't fixed my car, but they do admit there is a problem.

18. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius