1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

check engine code p0420

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by compassion, Feb 22, 2014.

1. compassion

compassion Silver Streak

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2009 prius tech pkg just turned 160k km / 100k miles and started to get check engine light for first time ever. obd2 scanguage says error code p0420 translates to catalytic converter out of range. oh oh, from reading this excellent forum I found that this is a recurring problem that will probably not be covered under warranty in Canada and will require the replacement of the cat for around $2000. I don't believe that is the best solution!
    This is the same problem that I have also experienced on my previous 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer same thing after 150000kms p0420, dealer says cat was previously replaced under warranty recall only one per customer pay $2300. My response was "I will live with the light" One of my brothers kids got the Lancer once I got the Prius, and he said he fixed the cat error. Wth how? He said he used the Seafoam treatment. BS. I thought, I had the code for 3 years! and no $10 snake oil treatment can fix a manufacture defective cat problem. But the light was off and I know he din't replace the cat.
    So to shorten the story and get to the solution. I tried the Seafoam fuel treatment just pouring a full can into a half tank of fuel. after 100km the light went off! Holy Crap I can't believe it. I am not easily duped or impressed, so I waited until after 1000km and 2 fills the light is still off.
    Seafoam works!
    I think I owe my brother more respect. Thanks buddy you saved me 2 grand.
    If anyone else on this forum has the same experience please post.
    I was a non believer too. I don't endorse any products ever, but if it saves other people from needlessly replacing cats it is all good. I hope it works for you too.

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If/when the light comes back on cut off the old cat and weld on this one
    Magnaflow 2 25" Heavy Loaded Catalytic Converter OBDII 99205HM | eBay

if it is legal where you live.

BTW offer $90, they accepted that offer from me twice.

usnavystgc likes this.
  3. SteveHH

SteveHH New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides the cat it could be the rear oxygen sensor. Either way it doesn't affect the performance. There are at least two O2 (oxygen) sensors - the one in front of the cat helps tune the engine, the rear just says the cat is working. If the cat is not working right OR the rear O2 sensor is not working right it throws the P0420. No biggie, unless you have to get it smogged...