1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

check engine / hybrid warning lights

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by paxfamilia, Nov 10, 2020.

1. paxfamilia

paxfamilia New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Daughter's car upon attempting start: typical engine noise, then shuttered, then no more gas engine noise. Dash: yellow triangle warning and yellow check engine light, red power steering light, and flashing red collision system light. Dash reads in white letters Hybrid system warning, pull over and stop engine immediately.

No smells. Engine oil level appears okay and clean. Vent by left seat is unobstructed. Additional attempts to try starting again, and even reversing in the driveway a small ways resulted in what felt severely under-powered gas engine, and then repeated start attempts just seemed to make the gas engine power down quickly while in park, and shutter before it powered down.

2017 Prius C with little less than 40K miles, original 12 volt battery.

Can all this be the problem of a dying / discharging 12 volt? (I HOPE that's all this is.......)

Should I attempt to 'charge' the 12 volt even though I am getting dash sound (beeping with the collision system blinking) and headlights? Could it be getting weak/bad cell despite keeping on headlights and dash noises?

Any pointers (short of tow it to Toyota) are greatly appreciated.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pull the 12v and test how good it is... That's always the first step... Also get an OBD2 reader and use Dr, Prius app to read the error codes. Here's the buyer's guide: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

3. paxfamilia

paxfamilia New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks PriusCamper! Will do. I'm wondering if the squirrels and acorns are the cause. Did note some squirrels with acorns up under her car. What access to systems would they have under there that might screw things up if leaving acorns? I can't get under the car without a lift, and would be afraid to given I don't know anything about the hybrid system and would be afraid of touching the wrong thing, but...... Just wondering.

4. paxfamilia

paxfamilia New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Code- P0340
    Camshaft Position sensor A circuit (bank 1 or single sensor), PERMANENT

Is a camshaft sensor something I can change with the car in off position and not electrocute myself?

And is this what is really means (OBD reader from parts store, they let me take it home to use), or do I need to 'interpret it on that Dr Prius software?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's some entry points they can chew in though in right rear quarter panels that are best accessed from inside the car where you pull spare tire out. Also make sure they haven't gotten into the Hybrid battery cooling fan system and clogged up the squirrel cage style fan in there. :) Also a few winters back I had a squirrel who'd climbed up on top of my engine for the warmth... Cleaned lots of poop off the top of my engine that year, but thankfully no chewed wires.

paxfamilia likes this.