1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light 3 flashes then out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R_Ann, Sep 14, 2009.

1. R_Ann

R_Ann New Member

For the past week or so when I start up my 2007 w/41k miles my check engine light will come on and go off 3 times then stay off. What does this mean? Car runs fine otherwise. I have not been driving as much as I normally do (70 miles per day) do to family circumstances which could be a blessing if this is a serious problem. but I am still driving around town about 20-30 miles.
    thanks

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure it's not the "Maint Req" light?

3. R_Ann

R_Ann New Member

It's the check engine same thing that usually comes on and stays on at the 5k increments for the oil change but it's not 5k yet. That's what threw me at first. I expected it to stay on thinking it was oil change time then it flashed 3x went off. Has done it each time I've been in the car since. Same tank of gas? I'm not driving highway like I normally do? I just don't want to blow it up or something. (Definately NOT a good time family wise - Mom died on Saturday so it's been VERY stressful).

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's not a "check engine" light. The check engine light is for serious problems. What you are describing is the maintenance required light. It starts flashing a few hundred miles early to give you some warning. Once you reach the 5,000 mile setting it will stay on.

Tom

5. R_Ann

R_Ann New Member

Yes - you are correct - maint reqd light (I'm slow this week - sorry:blush:). I've just never had it flash before the 5k mark. But now that I know it's "normal" I won't worry about it.
    Thanks a bunch! whew.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No worries

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If that's the biggest problem we have then we are in damned good shape. Since I run 7500 miles between changes I reset the light when it stays on to reduce annoyance.