1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light after wreck -- help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vic Doucette, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Vic Doucette

Vic Doucette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last week my Prius was hit by another driver who thought it was a good idea to pass me by crossing a double yellow line on a two-lane road just as I was beginning a left turn. $3,500 damage to my car, and a problem the dealer can't figure out.
    It seems that the "thermos" tank, which they tell me is under the left front fender, was damaged in the accident and needed to be replaced. OK, makes sense to me.
    Today, after being promised that the car would be ready this afternoon, the bump shop called me and said that the check engine light kept coming on and the dealer thought it was because there was an air bubble in the system.
    The solution, they said, was to let the car cool overnight and try it all again tomorrow.
    Does this make sense to you, or are they stumbling around in the dark trying to grope their way to a solution?
    BTW -- the other driver?
    She works for a Hyundai dealer down the block and around the corner from me.
    She was test-driving a customer's newly repaired vehicle when we had our little incident.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Vic,

Yes, it is possible that the problem is due to air in the engine coolant system. The presence of the coolant heat storage tank makes it difficult to fill the system and purge the air out.

The Toyota diagnostic laptop allows the tech to run the electric pump that moves coolant into and out of the tank. It should not be necessary to wait for the engine to cool down, unless the tech wants to test the functionality of the system that verifies the storage tank is maintaining the coolant at a hot temperature overnight.

My guess is that the tech working on your car ran out of time and was ready to go home. It's better that they keep your car and finish the job tomorrow, instead of releasing it to you tonight and letting you discover that the job was incomplete.