1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light came on...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Patman36, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Patman36

Patman36 New Member

Car has 239 miles on it. Only thing I have done is fill the car up with gas (dealer forgot to provide full tank of gas) last night. And yes I did screw the cap on tight enough.

Any diagnostic screen that will let me see what the problem is?

Patrick

2. eg239

eg239 New Member

Could be just a coating on the catalytic converter burning off (there are posts about that somewhere around here). Either way, take it to the dealer just to have it checked on.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, don't take it to the dealer yet. Go out, drive it at hwy speed for about 50 miles or so and see if it burns the crud off of the O2 sensor. That should take car of it.

If it does not, THEN go to the dealer. This is the single most common problem in the first few hundred miles of getting the car.

4. Patman36

Patman36 New Member

I have since driven it about 40 miles (highway and city). The light went off and then came on again a bit ago. I will check it out later to see what is up with it. Otherwise, I'll go introduce myself to the dealer :)

I appreciate everyone's advice. I got thumbs up from a guy today... he mouthed "cool car." :)

Patrick :)

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Follow Evan's advice... drive it a while longer before going to the dealer.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the problem involves the computer getting a working signal from the O2 sensor in a predetermined amount of time, in the order of 1/3 to 3/4's of a minute after start up. If the heater in the sensor can't bring the unit to temp fast enough it set's the MIL. The crud helps insulate the sensor from the flow of exhaust gas and this allows the sensor to not produce proper signal fast enough. The code remains in the computer data stream for 40 starts after the MIL light goes out or the code reset, after 40 cycles the code is erased from the computer.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never heard of this happening after 239 miles. usually it's in the first 100 miles, no? I've also never heard of it going out and then coming back on again.

I say, take it to the dealer. If it's the O2 sensor, you've lost nothing but the trip to the dealer. If it's something more significant, it needs to be fixed.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel's probably right, at this point. It did seem a little late, but probably within the range that this could happen. But, if you put on an additional 40 miles of relatively 'open' driving and it went off, but then came back on then there's a chance of something else going on.

I'd still bet it's not serious, but it's worth making an appt. to have it checked. If for no other reason than to have the code checked to confirm and to give yourself a little peace of mind.

9. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My check engine light came on at 511 miles. Since the car was still operating normally, I checked here first and saw the sensor info and waited until 3 power cycles. Light went out - likely to be the sensor issue. Saved a trip to the dealer due to the shared information. Thanks.