1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine light & check hybrid system message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kmohanas, Jan 26, 2016.

1. kmohanas

kmohanas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 prius Four, not IV, & it was running smoothly all these days. It has 20K miles on it. I live in the east coast & was locked up the past 2 days due to the blizzard. The car was in my garage, so was not buried under the mountain of snow.

When i started it up this morning, i heard some shuddering sounds & when i was taking it out of the garage, it started showing me the "check the hybrid system, park @ a safe place" message along with the check engine light. I parked it outside & then took my other car to work. When i returned in the evening, tried starting to see if warming it up will reset the message, but that did not help either. I heard the shuddering sounds for ~ 10 seconds or so & the car ran on gas to warm up a bit but the message didnt go away.

Last winter (march) I had the car parked in the garage for a week as i was out of the country. So this didn't happen @ that time when it was not used for an extended time during winter. I did heard the shuddering sound either last winter (or) the winter before. I did mention it to the dealer during my checkup & they said they didnt see anything wrong.

Is there anything that i can do (or) should i just get the car towed to the nearest dealer & get it checked out?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Without knowing what the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are, we'd only be guessing what the issues are.

So getting the codes read is the 1st step

iPhone ?

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the warning lights stay on you should have it towed to the dealer. You should probably not try to start it before it's towed so the dealer. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to repeat the condition.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12v for a few minutes, and see if the codes come back. could be the cold soak problem.

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would only do that after reading the codes so u know codes were thrown. Disconnecting the 12v will clear the codes that are currently stored.

iPhone ?