1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light comes on after rain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kevin Lester, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Kevin Lester

Kevin Lester Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Friends,

I've got a 2005 Prius. Love it, but the "check engine" light always comes up after it rains (or the snow melts). It goes away a while after things dry out. For instance, yesterday it had rained over night, so the CEL was on in the morning. By the afternoon it was out.

Anyone know what kind of issue I could have?

2. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Water leaking onto the coils. I'm pretty sure there is a fix for this, perhaps someone else will chime in.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is a known weakness in the rubber seals that prevent water from entering the engine compartment. Easily fixed DIY.

JeffD

4. Kevin Lester

Kevin Lester Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, do I just go pick u replacement seals and install them? What's the DIY solution?

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know engine compartment was waterproof!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The DIY solution is to buy a tube of black RTV sealant and use that to caulk the vertical seam that joins the two black plastic cowl pieces that cover the windshield wiper motor assembly. Water can drip down that seam onto the engine valve cover. Once water gets on the valve cover, it can potentially enter a spark plug well if the igniter O-rings are not in perfect condition.

To determine that this was the cause of the CEL coming on, you might remove the spark igniters and spark plugs and inspect for corrosion. The presence of rust would prove that water had gotten into the spark plug well.