1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

check engine light for first 50 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by michelle_mcd, Dec 11, 2004.

1. michelle_mcd

michelle_mcd New Member

Just picked up my new Prius this morning (yea, very excited!). When I drove it with the dealer there were no problems. But when I drove it away later the check engine light was on. The dealer said the they have noticed that this happens because something has to burn off the new engine in the first 50 or so miles.

Any experience with this issue?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, hadn't heard anyone mention it for a while, but you can get some build up of 'crud' in the O2 sensor that will cause that light. They usually recommend some relatively hard (like 55mph highway) driving for anywhere from 50-100 miles and it should clear on it's own once that stuff burns off.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember this issue too from awhile ago. It was noticed that people that took delivery quite a distance from home and had a long drive home never had this problem. Maybe a good thing to do is go for a long highway drive when you pick up your new Prius even if you don't have too. This could tie in with the"driving your Prius for no reason" thread LOL

4. michelle_mcd

michelle_mcd New Member

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.

My dealer is only 2 miles away, so I didn't have much of a trip home. Afterward I drove for about 50 miles, mostly on the highway, and the light is still on. I'll keep trying.

I must say I'm having a blast with the car!!