1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light intermittent - LAN codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coverall, Nov 24, 2013.

1. coverall

coverall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My check engine light comes on intermittently, fuel consumption normal. I have not had any noticeable performance issues. I took it to O'Rielly's for a scan but they could not establish a connection to get a readout. Is there a special scan tool needed? The on board Lan Monitor shows EMV codes below, are they meaningful in any way?

Code Sub-code
    01-DC 190-38-5
    01-D5 190-52-F
    01-D8 190-35-1
    01-DB 190-11-F
    01-DB 110-21-2

Sometimes, when I fill the tank it goes off but comes back on. Unfortunately, it is not consistent enough or I would just replace the gas cap. They will not let me go through emissions testing with a engine check light...so I cant register it or I would probably just ignore the whole thing.

Thank you in advance.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, those are nothing of use. It would be necessary to get an actual Prius code reader to find the source of the check engine light. It does happen that an improperly tightened gas cap can cause the leak down test in the fuel system to register an error. It is a cheap thing to try. Otherwise, a scanner is the only next step.

3. coverall

coverall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I swapped out the gas cap and the CEL is still on. So, I guess I will have to head to the dealership. Is there a specific scanner for the Prius?

thank you again.

4. coverall

coverall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI. I found this document on the onboard codes. I cannot attest to the accuracy of content though and they really do not point me in any specific direction.

Attached Files:

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The usual Prius specific scanners are the mini VCI (on eBay), Torque app for Android phone, ScanGuageII. The first two are cheaper than going to the dealer for one scan.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually when the check engine light comes on and off it means your low on oil. Did you check all the fluids under the hood?