1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light is back on after fuel throttle cleaning and oxygen censor replaced

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by LaRussafan, Sep 21, 2011.

1. LaRussafan

LaRussafan New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I just posted last week that my check engine light was on and the dealer wanted to replace fuel injectors. But after the fuel throttle was cleaned and oxygen sensor was replaced the check engine light went off. However, yesterday the check engine light came back on. I am talking it back to the dealer, in a couple of days. Where can I go to get to get the error codes read so I have them before I go back to the dealer? Any ideas what might be the proplem? Around 128,000 runs fine, around 40 miles per gallon. Last time I had the oil change dealer nothing came up on the 30 point inspection. Thanks so much, you guys were a big help last tim:confused: :(

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A parts store will read the codes for you.

Many check engine light issues are of the "two-trip" variety, meaning that they will set a pending code on the first trip, and turn on the light if the problem recurs on the second trip. A trip is not necessarily turning the car on, driving, and turning it off, as there are certain parameters that must be met. That's probably why you got a few days in without any problems. In order to pass emissions, however, you must have two complete trips with no pending codes.

I still don't think you need 4 injectors, though!

1 person likes this.
  3. LaRussafan

LaRussafan New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I know that I don't. When I went to the other dealer, the checked them out and they were fine. You are correct, I am doing this to pass all the emissions test. The dealer did say I need to drive it around a while before I take it to the emission test. I will post the codes when I find out. Thanks again for your response.

4. LaRussafan

LaRussafan New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just went auto parts store, had the code read P301, clyinder misfire. But after it was read, check engine light went off again. I metioned before, just had the oxygen censor replaced and throttle body cleaned. Any advice or tips would be great thanks again, especially Sielerts

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0301 means that cyl 1 has a misfire. Typically this will be due to either the spark plug, the spark igniter, or the fuel injector for that cylinder.

When were the iridium spark plugs last changed? The service interval is 60K miles.

1 person likes this.
  6. LaRussafan

LaRussafan New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick,
    I got the spark plugs changed at 105,144 miles. Did not mention any things about spark plugs, but they did say something about a fuel injector. I am might be afraid the fuel injector for that cylinder. Around how much should that cost to replace. Thanks.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're probably looking at $250-$300 if it is an injector installed at a dealer. An injector is $125 online. It is a little hard to confirm the diagnosis without either a scan tool (swap #1 coil pack with #2 and #1 injector with #3 and #1 spark plug with #4) or new parts.

1 person likes this.
  8. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The code does indicate cylinder 1 misfire...Remove coil from number one spark plug ........Then using ohm meter on highest resistance scale check for resistance (fouled plug) from plug to engine block............There should be no resistance at all from spark plug to engine block.....You dont have to remove spark plug for this test...It could also be a weak ignitoin coil on number 1 cylinder...or a wet ignition coil....