1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light on again after resetting...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by saelee39, Jul 11, 2008.

1. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My check engine light keeps coming on even after resetting it numerous times. The problem was running on low gas, and loose gas cap and I keep getting these codes. I just disconnected the negative battery terminal and leave it off for a couple of minutes. And CEL usually comes on after a couple hours of driving.

This bothers me because when the CEL is on, my cruise control does not work. I was wondering what should I do? Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you do not have a way to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes, then I suggest that you visit your dealer and have the tech retrieve the DTC so that you will know for sure why your check engine light is coming on. The problem seems to be more than a loose gas cap or low fuel.

Speaking of the gas cap, I hope that you tighten it so that it clicks at least once.

3. knoxville

knoxville New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The check engine light can come on for many reasons. Mine kept coming on and later found out that it was because the gas cap was not on securly. Maybe replacing it will help.:)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like more than what you think it is if the cruise is cutting out too. there are hundreds of reasons you'd see a CEL so it's best to find out why it keeps coming back. you can try autozone for a free reading, their readers can't get all the hybrid system specific codes but it's free and worth a shot.

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

If you are getting just the check engine light and not the Master Hybrid warning light (red triangle with ! ) I would agree with Galaxee that a free check at AutoZone can ID the code and erase it. If you post again with the code, I will be happy to look it up and give you the most likely causes and possible courses of diagnosis....

6. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I took it to the dealer and here are the codes they got: P3193, P0852, P0A0F, P3000...

Both the CEL light and the Hybrid Warning light is on... Hope to hear from ya soon...

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    P3193 fuel run out- you did mention running low on fuel
    P0852 park/neutral position switch input circuit high- issue in the circuit between park button and HV ECU
    P0A0F engine failed to start- depending on the inf code this may be related to running out of fuel or the ECM
    P3000 battery control system malfunction- battery/battery ECU

of course DH just left again so i can't provide more than that right now.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3193 "Fuel Run Out": Either you are out of fuel or the engine ECU is bad.
    DTC P0A0F "Engine Failed to Start" - no surprise if you were out of fuel.
    DTC P0852 "Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit High" - either the P position switch, the wire harness, or the hybrid vehicle ECU is bad.
    DTC P3000 "Battery Control System Malfunction" - either the traction battery, or the traction battery ECU is bad. However this DTC can also be produced if you were out of fuel.

Two questions:
    • How much fuel was in the gas tank when these various DTCs were retrieved?
    • What repairs does your service advisor recommend?
    Also see attached TSB EG047-04, as Bear68 cited in his reply.

Attached Files:

9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Here are the codes:

P3193= fuel ran out.
    P0852= Park/Neutral short to B+ or ground (depending on the info code)
    P0A0F=Poor engine power There is a TSB on this one that also covers P3193 The number is EG047-04 it is a computer reflash and is under warranty until 96 months or 80,000 miles
    P3000=battery control system malfunction and is most likely caused by the other codes.

If you did not run the engine out of fuel, I would recommend going to the dealer for the TSB concern onthe P3193 and P0A0F. The park/neutral issue and the P3000 I would ask them to clear and watch to see if they reoccur. They most likely will not.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    does your cruise light stay on when the cruise does not work?

since you have an 04, did you have the recall ecu reflash done to it?

11. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was running on my last gallon when these warning lights came on. I am the second owner and I found out that this car had been in an accident before. The service adviser told me that my car "had been in an accident and codes were saved in history did not allow cruise control to operate, the P3193 light came on which allows other codes to come on" The dealer reset the codes and the cruise control did worked for a couple of days until the Red Triangle and CEL came back on again.

I remembered running on low fuel but my car always started up fine. They didn't mention anything about repairs besides just resetting the codes... My car is out of warranty and was wondering how much it will cost to get all these repairs done?

My cruise control does not turn on or stay on when it does not work. It stays on for a period of time until the CEL comes on, this turns off the cruise control itself. I never got the ECU reflash done because I do not know weather the previous owner did it or not.

What should I do?

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After the dealer reset the codes, what was your fuel level when the red triangle and CEL lights came back on?

Here is my list of suggested activities:
    • Do not allow the fuel level to get so low in the future. Refuel when your fuel gauge shows two bars or more.
    • Your dealer can determine whether all applicable recalls have been performed (including ECU reflash), as Toyota maintains a national database with this info. There should be no charge for this particular service. If any required recall work had not previously been done, it should be done now.
    • After applicable recall work has been performed: if you still have problems, I suggest that you again have the diagnostic codes retrieved. The list should be a shorter one, or different codes may now appear.
    It is impossible to say what the repair cost will be since it is not clear what is wrong with your car besides your running out of fuel. Perhaps the accident caused wiring harness damage which is provoking the P0852 code. That might also cause the cruise control to not work.

13. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The red triangle is suppose to be the hybrid warning light right?

I refuel now with at least 3 bars the very minimum.

Now I get code: P0A85... the Mechanic advise me that one of the Hybrid fan is going bad. Would this be something I should be worried about?

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A85 Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan #1

This needs to be checked out as soon as possible. You don't want the traction battery to overheat since that would be a very costly repair...

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before you bought the car did the previous owner tell you that it had been in an accident? As you are discovering, so many things can get damaged in a accident and go undetected and unrepaired it can give you the willies.

16. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh yeah and when the car is running, sometimes the fan by the rear passenger seat has been coming on. Is there something wrong?

Since I have been having problems with my car, should I by an extended warranty? My car didn't come with warranty and is currently at 41k.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fan by the rear seat is the battery cooling fan. It is good news that it is running, but there must be something wrong with the system since DTC P0A85 appears.

It is too late to buy an extended warranty from Toyota; that must be purchased within 3 years/36K miles from the initial in-service date.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, maybe not. That fan comes on when the traction battery system thinks it is too hot, and that can happen in extreme circumstances even when everything is working right.

You will be paying a certified Prius technician (most of them are at Toyota dealers) to diagnose and fix these problems, and install any missing TSBs.

19. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The dealer was able to pull code POA85. They replaced the Blower motor controller and everything is running fine. Thanks....