1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light on again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GaryK, Aug 24, 2004.

1. GaryK

GaryK New Member

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius that is less than one month old. So far, the check engine light has come on 3 times. The Toyota tech reports that the first 2 times were caused by the "Solar Sensor" on the passenger side, which was replace last week at the dealership. Today, the check engine light came on and stayed on for a few hours. I assume that it's the same problem as before, as every time this has happened, it's been while powering up the car, not while driving.

Has anyone else run into this same problem? If so, what was the cause and cure?

It's pretty upsetting to have a brand new car display a light that tells me the take it to the dealer all the time. I have been told that 160 things can trigger that light, so it could be anything causing the problem.

Thanks,

Gary

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

My car's light has not come on, but the car I tested at the dealer had it on all the time. The are a few posts in this and other forums about the check engine light coming on during the first few hundred miles; apparently, it's not an important issue.

My car's red triangle warning light came on and off just about every other day during the first month that I had the car. The light has been off for several months now.

1 person likes this.
  3. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Check Engine light came on a number of times 9,000 miles ago. The Toyota dealer determined I had a bad gas tank and kept the car three weeks while they ordered and then installed the new tank.

Shortly after the first fillup after my 10,000 service at the dealer the check engine light came on again. I will try to make time to find out the problem later this week. I'll post the results of another trip to the dealer for this.

1 person likes this.
  4. GaryK

GaryK New Member

David,

I sure hope your last check engine light event is only due to your gas fill and cap, rather than something with your tank again. Please let us know what service finds when they check the errors codes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had this same problem. Check engine light kept coming on. They replaced the wiring harness I believe. There is a technical bulletin about this problem. You need to search on PRIUSONLINE.COM for the fix.
    Here's the Link.

6. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Dion,

Does you Prius have the side curtain air bags by chance? Mine is a package #3, with side curtain air bags.

7. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    GaryK,

Yes, I have a #9 with all options including the side airbags.

8. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Dion,

Toyota service tells me my model Prius is too new to be effected by the wiring harness, as that problem was found only on model made before this Summer. Was your Prius made before the Summer by chance?

9. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    GaryK,

I got my Prius in March 2004.

10. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Dion,

OK,

Thanks for the info. Getting the car checked again in a few days, so will see what they find out. Would be nice to be able to plug a laptop in and see for myself.

11. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Well,

My 1 month old Prius is now sitting in the shop at the local Toyota service center. The service manager reports that more than one thing seems to be triggering the "check engine light" now, before, it was just the "Solar Sensor". Hope they find the cause and get it fixed soon, as it's 120 miles every time I have to take it to the dealer. At least, I got a free rental this time. Looks like I am going to be needing it. :(

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    120 miles to the nearest dealer?

13. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Yes, 60 miles over, and 60 miles back. Not everyone lives in the big city.

14. ethanf58

ethanf58 New Member

I got my 04 in March 04. Check engine light and red triangle has come on many times at start-up. The car then needs restarting to run properly. Light stays on. Dealer just replaced "wiring-harness" last thursday. Waiting to see if the light returns.

15. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    my check engine light just came on at 1900 miles...we were just driving down the road at 25-30mph...tried a shut down 3 times to no avail...gas cap just fine...who knows...

16. Jeri

Jeri New Member

:) I think the problem lies with the fact that we need Toyota techs for service. My Tacoma had tthe constant check engine light problem which later became can't get out of first gear after the dealer looked at it! I had it in to three different dealerships and then took it to a private shop. They fixed it within two hours. Solenoid needed replacing. I sent a copy of their work sheet to the dealerships and told them they all needed toyota training.

17. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    had to reprogram the ecu...a tsb was issued for the check engine light...so we will see how long that lasts...

18. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Well,

After having my car for 2 weeks, service replaced the ECU with an updated unit. Seems ok so far, but they left the panel where the right side air curtain airbag loose and dangling! Fixed that myself. They told me that the ECU was a newer unit with programming upgrades, so am keeping my fingers crossed!

I wonder if they new ecu would prevent me from adding the Coastal Electric only mode mod?

19. GaryK

GaryK New Member

So far, so good since the new ECO. Lots of scratches caused by the upgrade by the dealer that were not there before :(

20. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

Does it mean anything if the "service" light comes on for a few seconds? I have 4500 miles on car.. Everything seems to be running good.. :roll: