1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by johnford, May 25, 2009.

1. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This morning my check engine light was on and when I started it up, the main battery was very low. Down to the last two lines. Being a holiday, I drove it to see if it was still working, and all seemed fine but after a short time inside a resturant, the battery was about half discharged. Any ideas or anyone had this problem before. I am on my extended warrenty and just hope it is covered. I'm off to the dealer tomorrow morning.... jf

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Without knowing the code(s) retrieved, I wouldn't even guess

3. johnford

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know any way to get codes without going to the dealer and they are closed today.... jf

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery being at two lines is completely normal. It happens all the time. But definitely get it to a dealer ASAP to see what's up with the Check Engine Light.

5. johnford

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Went to the dealer early this AM. They said the problem was a loose gas cap? They found some dirt had lodged into the threads causing the cap to appear tight when it wasn't. Chalk it up to living in an area with simply the worst county roads on the planet and the wife doing a 100 mile round trip rural paper route each day..... jf

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Too bad MIL codes couldn't be displayed on the MFD. That would take a lot of the stress out of the MIL

Generic OBD II codes can be retrieved by about any generic scanner. If you anticipate need for such a tool, they are widely and cheaply available. ScanGauge II also has extensive code retrieval

There is a way to access a "blink code" by shorting two pins on the OBD II connector. I'm not going to tell you what two pins, as you can do damage if you short the wrong pins

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, a loose gas cap will screw up the evaporation emissions control system. The fact that yours had dirt in it is worrisome. Be careful when refueling.

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, dealing with a Check Engine Light is important.
    Last year after we fitted a "lock cap" and about five miles later the Check Engine Light came on. Replaced the cap with the original and all was OK.
    Now in the return stage of a trip Vancouver Island to Nova Scotia our Check Engine Light came on so stopped at the first Toyota dealer where the code indicated we had a misfire problem. Since it was intermittent the tech determined it was possibly water in the gas. After applying 1/2 container of STP "Water Remover" (175ml)
    to a full tank no problem since leaving Yarmouth NS and now in Lafayette IN.
    Maybe also of interest we have averaged approx 53mpg (Can) so far and yesterday observed 19 deer hits along the highway in PA. I guess it is too expensive to line the highway with fences as they do in New Brunswick.
    Gary