1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maknowlton, Nov 27, 2006.

1. maknowlton

maknowlton New Member

When I started my 06 Prius this morning (it has ~7500 miles) it turned on fine, but when the ICE kicked in, there was a very noticable shudder for a few seconds that's never happened before, and as I drove up my driveway, I saw that the check engine light was on. And the engine felt as though it were running rough. (I decided it was smarter not to drive it to work, so I took our spare van.)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What's going on with my car? :( I'm going to take a look at it tonight, and call the dealer in the morning, but wanted to sound y'all out about what it might be, first. Any ideas?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are a large number of things that could be wrong, from a computer problem to a misfiring on a cylinder due to a clogged spark plug. I doubt there's really any advice we can give you here other than take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Of course, when you do take it in, make sure to ask them for the error codes the car gives them - There are a few people on here who will take the time to explain exactly what the code means and what could have caused it.

3. maknowlton

maknowlton New Member

Thanks... I knew I wasn't likely to get an exact diagnosis, but I figured I'd see if the shudder sounded familiar to anybody. And thanks for reminding me to ask for the codes (I probably would have only remembered after leaving the dealer...).

*crossing my fingers that it's nothing too bad*

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mary Anna, we should try to eliminate a few things before you spend the money and time of taking it in for a look-over.

What was the outside air temperature this morning when this happened?
    When was the last time your oil was changed?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    unfortunately without seeing the car there's not much anyone can tell you. this isn't one of the (very few) cut-and-dried conditions with a known fix.

relay the info you get from your dealer and we'll offer any advice we can. since you're within warranty you don't have to worry about getting taken for a ride, but you may encounter a clueless dealer, they're not all that uncommon.

6. maknowlton

maknowlton New Member

Tony... it was about 40 degrees out this morning (overnight low of 38), and the last oil change was at 5000 miles, had it done the 3rd week of September.

I'll let you all know what the dealer says... hoping they're not clueless (they were good with my old Corolla, but don't know how they are with the Prius).

Thanks!

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Mary Anna,
    What PriusChatters have hinted at so far is:

1) The check engine light will come on to remind you to change the oil. That was why the “When was the last time your oil was changed?†question. - Did the light come on and stay on? Did it blink and go out? Did it blink and go out over the past few days and now it is on steady? The check engine light will blink and go out to remind you that an oil change is coming due. Later it will stay on . . . basically saying, “change my oil now.â€

2) With the heater on . . . and possibly in defrost mode, a newer Prius, in the hands of a newer Prius driver, can feel like it is running rough. That is why the, “What was the outside air temperature this morning when this happened?†This is especially true with a low mileage Prius (which you have). The gas engine will sometimes feel like it is bouncing the car around when it automatically starts and shuts off. This mellows out after the car is broken in . . . and the driver is desensitized. :mellow:

3) We can not definitively rule out mechanical problems. Since it has been about 5,000 miles since your last oil change, and IF the car is shaking only when the gas engine is automatically starting and stopping, I WOULDN'T WORRY TOO MUCH. :)

Get your oil changed at the dealer ASAP and tell them what you felt. My guess is that they will tell you what you felt is normal. The addition of the check engine light to the shaking is helping to unnecessarily freak you out. ;)

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 27 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]354506[/snapback]</div>
    Just a note... as she has stated, she currently has about 7500 miles, with the last oil change at 5000 miles, two months ago... 2500 miles and two months are way too soon for the CEL to come on for a simple oil change.

Also, at this point i'm sure she's used to the normal start and stop shudders... combine this abnormal feel to this one with the CEL would indicate that something is amiss.

If it was just a complaint about the car shuddering, then yeah, we'd probably all be here saying the same things you are (how cold is it, etc)... however the CEL, along with the stated oil change timing indicates that the problem is more serious than that - it could be misfiring cylinders, water in the gas, E85 fill up - regardless, Toyota needs to see it, and it is something that she should at least be slightly worried about - if the ICE suddenly dies on the highway, it could create a very dangerous situation. Not that i'm saying this is a likely hood, but i wouldn't want to rule anything out when people are speeding around me at 80mph.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mary Anna @ Nov 27 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]354435[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mary Anna @ Nov 27 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]354499[/snapback]</div>

9. maknowlton

maknowlton New Member

Thanks eagle... saved me some typing there to point out the not-likeliness of a needed oil change.

I agree... I'm used to its normal start/stop shudders, and this was definitely different, and I am worried enough to bring it into the dealer. Don't think we have E85 around here, at least that I've seen, but could be any of the other things you mentioned. Or something really wacky. (but I hope not!)

(and isn't it the maintence req'd light that comes on for oil changes? This was a yellow one shaped like an engine...) :unsure:

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As said, CEL (check engine light) could mean a lot of things. Before taking it in to the dealer, you could check the following
    - fuel cap (make sure it is tighten properly)
    - open air filter box (make sure it is not clogged due to debris, etc)
    - smell under the hood for fuel leak (don't drive if so)

Other than those, take it to dealers for them to pull the error codes.

11. waygil

waygil New Member

This very thing just happened to me last night. I have a 2006 with 5100 miles on it.

I just started the car went to a stop sign and the ICE shuddered for a few seconds and threw the check engine light on. Drove it 80 miles since and it seems to be running fine. (check engine light is still on) Checked the gas cap and it's on tight.

I have to take the car in for it's 5000 mile service. Will the dealer charge me to read the code for the check engine light?

If I wanted to purchase a code reader myself, which one should I get? (are there any cheap ones out there)

Wayne

12. frazidlo

frazidlo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mary Anna @ Nov 27 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]354435[/snapback]</div>

I too have been having problems w/ check engine light ...read your thred but never saw what the
    dealer had to say....any follow up?? thanks raz

13. waygil

waygil New Member

Just an update.

Took the car to the dealer for the 5K today. He said that if the check engine light comes on then turns off within a couple days it's nothing to worry about. He said worse case is if the light comes on and blinks. Then you definitely take it to the dealer ASAP.

So they wouldn't pull the codes so I don't know what actually happened. Another reason to get my own reader so I can have some piece of mind.